He who hesitates is lost!

Started by duramax, February 28, 2015, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duramax

We all know what happens when you hesitate or procrastinate. Your lose! But usually it nothing very serious. maybe you are a hot rodder and went to a swap meet. You see something that you can use but decide to look around for awhile. Naturally when you return it is gone. Well I have a better story about a shmuk that hesitated. I have been looking for a 26 ft. Classic Chieftain. Maybe a 73 or 74. Not much around and even then most are either junk or need a grand resto! One evening back in January I did an all of Craig's list search. There it was in Bend Oregon. A nice looking 73. Family was selling it for dad who had health problems. Always stored inside. 2nd owner. Low miles. Even had all the documentation. Rear bath. Interior was nice. Mostly original. According to the owner it needed nothing. Tranny oil was changed recently and it had some new tires. Only a few pictures of the body but it looked cherry. I asked a bunch of questions and got the right answers. They were asking $3900 but would take less. It was very cold in Canada that week and I would have to fly down to see it. Decided to wait. You know the rest. 3 weeks later it was gone!! My gut feel is that there probably is not another one like that baby! So do not be shmuk is my advice. Go for it!

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

joev

If it was meant to be yours it would still be available if its not you might have just dodge the bullet of a not so cherry ride

Bnova

Duramax, don't be too heart broken about it.  I looked at tons of them before I bought, and let me tell you, they all have something wrong with them.  Not a single one did I find that didn't have a major problem of some sort.

One of them (and they all do) looked really sweet in the pics, had a rotted wall in the drivers cockpit, so bad that his side mirror would flop and waggle going down the road and they didn't know if the 54 K miles were original. 

Another one, same thing, looked awesome in pics, get there and all the (Sundowner) exterior storage compartments were rusted through as if it had been driven in salt a lot.  And then the gen mysteriously didn't work when I got there, floor had some issues but of course when previously asked about it, everything was good.

I went to check out a 1976 Itasca and when got there things were looking ok, but after about 5 min of looking things over I start to notice that the aluminum siding on the exterior was full of corrosion and had small holes in it all over the place.  It was corroding from the inside out.  When I mentioned it, he got pissed and couldn't believe that I cared about that.

And that's just a couple of the many that I went and checked out.  In my experience, they all have something fairly major wrong with them and then of course a ton of little things that aren't such a big deal.

When I look at them, (and I look them over meticulously for great lengths of time) I make note of the problems, find the major one and decide if it is something that I can handle myself, I'm not a carpenter/body guy so I passed on the first one here that I mentioned.  I'm an aircraft mechanic and so I can handle a lot of mechanical/electrical stuff so if I find one that has a gen that has not worked for some years, as long as it is not seized up I can probably fix it.

duramax

Thx for the replies. I have bought and restored a number of unit in my lifetime . I would never consider a unit with serious structure or body issues. You can always fix brakes, gennies, engines, trannies and more interiors can be redone if the whole thing is not rotten. I once flew from Tucson to Kentucky to look at an Argosy MH. When I got there my mouth dropped. It was like the Classic field car that had trees growing through the floor! The owner only sent me the photos of the good parts! I was pi--ed! I guess what is bothering me is that there are very few older Chieftains for sale. And most are really just parts vehicles. Others have been sitting outdoors with leaky roofs and are beyond help. I will keep looking but I am not getting younger!

Bnova

Yeah it's a shame that people won't take better care of these things.  I realize not everyone has a storage unit to put the thing when not in use, but I think I would at least buy a cover for mine if I didn't have my storage place. 

Then again I suppose when you buy a new one you expect you can park it outside uncovered without any real problems.  I'm sure even a new one will leak water at the seams some where.

Lefty

Sometimes you miss out on the one you want... and then sometimes karma brings it back around to you for a second chance.

In 2011 (I think), we were looking for a travel trailer. We looked at a great many, maybe 150 or more, but we had very specific wants. It had to be at least 35' long, a bumper pull, no rubber roof, no leaks ever, and equipped with two twin beds in the rear.. not a queen bed. After months of searching, we finally found THE ONE. A 1990 Fleetwood Prowler Regal 35' with twin beds in extremely good structural shape. It only needed new carpet, blinds, and minor updating. It was at a used travel trailer dealership for $3,800. We discussed buying it, and got the price down to $3,200. This was on a Sat. Monday, we went to the bank, withdrew the money, and went to the dealership. It was gone! A guy came and bought it late Sat. afternoon after we had left, paying cash. We were heartbroken but moved on. We eventually bought a 30' 5th Wheel instead, which we did enjoy, but it wasn't the same.

Then, some very good friends of ours invited us to their house for a Sunday cookout. While there, he asked if we had seen their new camper they had bought. Yup, there it was, the trailer we had wanted. They were the mystery man that had bought it that Saturday. Then he tells us, he can't use it anymore due to health issues, and was thinking of selling it for $2,800. So we arranged to sell ours and used the money to buy it.
Now, we have the camper that I feel fate meant for us to own.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Bnova

LJ-TJ

Hey Lefty, that's a great example for those who come here looking for some help and direction as to what do I do. Is it a good deal, should I run and get it. Oh! I'm afraid I'll miss the deal. Maybe you might consider re-posting it on our buddies thread Re:  1977 Winnebago Chieftain 26RK
He's doing a great job following up on a rig he found but maybe a little reassurance might be good right about now. Hm?

cosmic

I always figure if its a super great deal. Then most times the first guy there gets it. If 5 guys ahead of you turned it down. There is usually a reason why. Be it to expensive. something major wrong with it.
I love to watch the adds on-line and to be the first to find my next hidden treasure so to say.. :)clap

HandyDan

If I was looking for a trailer, it would have the same specifications as what you were looking for.  My motorhome is pretty much the same specs.  I personally prefer the twin beds.  We both get a better sleep that way and much easier to make up.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Lefty

There are deals out there... You just need to be extremely patient. I highly recommend anyone who is seriously considering buying any kind of camper, RV, or what-not, to go out and look. By look, I mean get yourself a swapper paper, get on Craigslist, gas up the car, and go riding. Go see as many as you can, in all types of sizes, styles, and prices. This is not about finding one to buy, it is about educating yourself on what is out there in the real-world market. By the time you are ready to buy, you will already have a good idea of what you are going to want. How big, layout, features, etc.. You will also be able to tell the difference between a great deal, and a not-so-great deal.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...