Dodge M300 Front Hub Removal

Started by mbmcmahan, February 07, 2015, 10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbmcmahan

does anyone know how to remove the front hub/drum on a 69 Dodge M300 (Winnebago D24). I'm staring at what looks like a large 2-1/4 inch nut(?) which holds the hub on the spindle. Is it really only just a dust cover? I can't seem to get at it to pry it off (too deep). Do I need to find a 2-1/4 inch socket to spin it off. Any clues are greatly appreciated.

75Travco

These sound like the threaded dust covers.  The recessed location makes for difficult access.  And Dodge used an octagonal head on the caps.  The first time around I removed them with large channel lock pliers.  Very difficult due to the limited gripping power.  Later on I got an 8-sided socket, which made it easy.

Other have used the tried and true hammer and punch, but be careful as the extra fine pitch thread is easily damaged.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Most better auto supplies carry spindle sockets

http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-sockets-and-wrenches/spindle-nut-socket/mile-marker-2-1-2-in-hex-spindle-nut-socket/235902_0_0/

1/2" drive

You need them for screwing the cap off as well as removing the spindle nut holding the hub on the spindle.   Used on front and rear wheels.

QuoteOther have used the tried and true hammer and punch, but be careful as the extra fine pitch thread is easily damaged.
I would not want to risk damaging a cap that is almost impossible to find replacements for.

Dave
[move][/move]