Carrying a firearm in your motorhome. . .

Started by bnlfan, February 07, 2015, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

Does anyone know what the laws state in regards to carrying a firearm in you motorhome?  I know in a conventional auto it normally is that it must be locked away and stored separate from the ammunition.

So, if you do not have a carry permit, what are the laws?  And is it any different when you are parked and not actually traveling down the highway?

LJ-TJ

Yep! DON'T EVEN THINK OF BRINGING THEM TO CANADA

Oz

Message Search:  Fire Arms

Refering to this existing topic:

Fire Arms and RVing

it includes a link to the publication, Traveler's Guide to the Fire Arm Laws of the Fifty States.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,5284.msg27884.html#msg27884

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DRMousseau

I too, have once again, decided to purchase a sidearm. A previous avid outdoor sportsman, I no longer have ANY firearms, nor any interest in participation of hunting or outdoor shooting sports anymore. And I've never had any great concerns of personal protection that my "fish bat" didn't match. But a recent encounter has swayed my judgement to greater caution. Surprising, it was my first experience with a new predator in North Michigan, (http://www.michiganwolfsightings.info/2014/11/wolf-sighting-in-grand-traverse-county.html?m=1)
and of growing concern in many other areas. Since I still enjoy ventures far into isolated forests, I've decided to be a bit more careful, and am well aware of local laws in this regard, including those of our national parks and forests.

But life in an RV is unique, and such firearm will likely see more storage time than not. I'm currently considering a fireproof safe permanently secured to the vehicle frame that will also accommodate important papers of necessity.

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Rickf1985

Don't even THINK of bringing a gun into new Jersey!!!! Mandatory jail time, no if's, and's or buts.

jbragg

State of Kentucky is an open carry state. As long as it is plain view it can be carried. Otherwise you must have a CCDW license.
Jim & Angel
1987 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ
Kentucky

M & J

All if our surrounding states (Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Tennessee) are also open carry and reciprocates KY's CCDW, which both my wife and myself have.
Just go through the class, get your CCDW permit and your covered except for about 8 states.
M & J

JessEm

This is great. I know which states I will not be patronizing.

This I don't understand:
Quote from: LJ-TJ on February 07, 2015, 09:37 PM
Yep! DON'T EVEN THINK OF BRINGING THEM TO CANADA
I believe you just complete a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form at the boarder, and pay the $25 fee.

joanfenn

Some light reading for you:

Keeping Canada Safe

Canada's firearms laws help make Canada safer for residents and visitors.

Remember, you have to declare all firearms and weapons at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office when you enter Canada. If you do not declare all firearms or weapons, we will seize them and you could face criminal charges. You need documents to prove that you are entitled to possess a firearm in Canada, and you must transport it safely.

If you need more information about Canada's firearms laws, a specific firearm, weapon, device and/or applicable fees, contact the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000.

You may also want to speak to the Chief Firearms Officer of the province you are planning to visit. To obtain contact information for the Chief Firearms Officers, consult Appendix A of this publication or contact Border Information Service (BIS) at one of the telephone numbers listed in Appendix B.

Prohibited Weapons and Devices

If you are a visitor to Canada or a resident of Canada, you cannot import prohibited weapons or devices.

The following weapons are prohibited from entering Canada:
• automatic knives such as switchblades;
• centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
• gravity knives;
• mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
• nunchaku sticks;
• shuriken (throwing stars);
• manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
• finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
• Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
• crossbows designed for one-handed use;
• crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
• Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
• push daggers;
• devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
• spiked wristbands;
• blowguns;
• Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
• spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
• morning stars; and
• brass knuckles.

The following devices are prohibited from entering Canada:
• silencers or devices designed to muffle or stop the sound of a firearm;
• certain cartridge magazines above a given capacity. Generally, cartridge magazines are limited to 5 rounds for centre-fire, semi-automatic rifles or shotguns and 10 rounds for semiautomatic handguns, with exemptions for certain magazines;
• bullpup stocks;
• replica firearms (see additional information on replica firearms below); and
• devices prohibited by regulations.

Replica firearms (prohibited devices)

Replica firearms:
• are designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precision;
•are not reproductions of antique firearms; and
•may include airsoft or blank guns.

Replica firearms are classified as prohibited devices. Individuals cannot import them into Canada.

For additional information regarding prohibited weapons and devices, please consult Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices - Customs Tariff, Criminal Code, Firearms Act, and Export and Import Permits Act, available through the "Publications and forms" link on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Firearms Classification

All firearms are classified as non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. If you are a visitor to Canada, you cannot import prohibited firearms under any circumstances. Canadian residents can not import newly acquired prohibited firearms under any circumstances.

Non-restricted firearms include:
• semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
• single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.

Restricted firearms include:
• most handguns;
• semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
• firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
• firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:
• handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
• handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
• firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (about 26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (about 18 inches) long;
• automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
• firearms prohibited by regulations.

On the other hand, antique firearms are not considered firearms for licensing and registration purposes. Antique firearms include:
• any firearms manufactured before 1898 that are not originally designed or redesigned to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition;
• long guns manufactured in 1898 or later that are reproductions of flintlock, wheel-lock, or matchlock firearms; and
• firearms that are classified as antique by regulations.

If you are a Canadian resident or a visitor to Canada, you can import firearms that are considered to be antiques under the Criminal Code. You do not need to register antique firearms, and you do not need a licence if you are the owner of antique firearms. Please note: safe storage and transportation requirements still apply.

For additional information regarding importation requirements for each class of firearm, see the section called "Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals."

For additional information regarding firearms classification, please consult Memorandum D19-13-2, available through the "Publications and forms" link on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Firearms specifications

Barrel length

Canadian law specifies that the barrel of a firearm must be measured to assist in determining the firearm's classification.

Barrel length is measured as follows:
• a revolver is measured from the muzzle of the barrel to the breech, immediately in front of the cylinder;
• all other firearms are measured from the muzzle of the barrel up to and including the chamber, but not including the length of any part or accessory added to the barrel, including those designed or intended to suppress the muzzle flash or reduce the recoil, such as a flash suppressor (eliminator) or muzzle brake.

Muzzle velocity

Other barreled weapons, such as pellet guns, may be considered as non-restricted or restricted firearms if they meet the legal definition of a firearm and have a muzzle velocity of more than 152.4 metres (500 ft.) per second and a muzzle energy of more than 5.7 joules. Owners of such firearms have to meet all import, licence, registration and authorization requirements for non-restricted or restricted firearms.

If the muzzle velocity of a weapon is 152.4 metres (500 ft.) per second or less or if the muzzle energy is 5.7 joules or less, the weapon may still, technically, be a firearm. However, owners of such weapons do not need a firearms licence, the weapons do not have to be registered, and owners do not need an authorization to transport such a weapon for importation purposes.

Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals

When you arrive at the border, declare your firearm to the border services officer, provide any documents required (as listed below), and answer all questions truthfully. The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm, and may check to ensure that you have stored your firearm properly for transportation. The border services officer will also review your documents and may verify that the firearm you have matches the one described on the documents.

If you have declared a firearm but cannot meet the import requirements, or you do not have the proper documents, the border services officer may allow you to export the firearm from Canada. At his or her discretion, the border services officer may detain the firearm, issue you a receipt and allow you a reasonable amount of time to present the correct documents to the CBSA.

If you have not been truthful, or if the officer believes that you should not bring the firearm into Canada, we can detain it.

If you did not declare the firearm, we will seize it, and you may face criminal charges.

If you need information about importing a specific firearm or weapon, contact the Border Information Service (BIS) at one of the telephone numbers listed in Appendix B.

Import regulations

Different regulations apply if you are importing firearms as a visitor or Canadian resident. However, anyone importing a firearm to Canada must be at least 18 years of age.

Note: Persons under 18 years of age cannot import firearms, but may be eligible for a Minor's Possession Licence.

Visitors to Canada

If you are a visitor to Canada, and do not have a Canadian firearms licence and, in the case of a restricted firearm, a registration certificate, you are required to declare your firearms in writing.

Visitors must declare all their firearms in writing. This can be done by filling out Form CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and paying a CAN$25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, it has the same effect as a temporary licence and registration and is valid for up to 60 days.

If you are importing restricted firearms, you also need an authorization to transport (ATT). You can get an application for an ATT by calling the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000. Normally, if you are a visitor declaring your restricted firearms in writing, you should plan to come to the CBSA office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in order to apply for an ATT, as you will need a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration confirmation number to apply. If you are unable to come to the office during these hours, please make arrangements in advance by calling the Chief Firearms Officer of the province you will be visiting, as listed in Appendix A.

For more information on declarations by visitors, please call the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000, or visit their Web site at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp

Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence must show it to a border services officer to import a non-restricted firearm.

Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence but do not have registration certificates for their restricted firearms must also complete Form CAFC 909, Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and pay a CAN $25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, the declaration has the same effect as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms for up to 60 days.

Visitors cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms.

Visitors who want to leave firearms in Canada must pay duties and taxes. If the firearm is sold or otherwise transferred to a Canadian resident, the parties must meet all the legal requirements associated with transferring firearms.

Documentation - Visitors to Canada without a Canadian Firearms Licence

Type of Firearm

Form CAFC909 + CAN $25

Authorization to Transport

non-restricted required not required
restricted required required
prohibited importation prohibited

Documentation - Visitors to Canada with a Canadian Firearms Licence

Type of Firearm

Possession and Acquisition Licence OR Possession only Licence

Canadian Firearm Registration Certificate OR Form CAFC909 + CAN$25

Authorization to Transport

non-restricted required not required not required
restricted required required required
prohibited importation prohibited

Rickf1985

That is some serious reading! I am assuming you have a bit of first hand knowledge of this subject? W%

joanfenn

legomybago

Quote• shuriken (throwing stars);
• manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);

If I can't bring my stars and fighting chains, I'm not going ??? lol
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

xerofall

Quote from: legomybago on July 15, 2015, 05:59 PM

If I can't bring my stars and fighting chains, I'm not going ??? lol

Truth. I mean what's fun about RV-ing and camping without ninja weapons?

JessEm

joanfenn

There are a few on this site.  That is why we have fun. :)clap

ClydesdaleKevin

We avoid states that prohibit our firearms in our travels.  We'll spend our money and tax dollars only in states that recognize and support the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.