Does my frame need to be reinforced for towing a heavy trailer?

Started by Clyde9, November 09, 2008, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/3/2006 9:51 PM

Hi to all and thanks for allowing me to join this group . My question is can the frame of my d24 indian handle the 400 pound tongue weight of my carhauler ? I am worried that the trailer may put too much stress on the frame extensions.  Has any one beefed up the frame . Ive built my own offroad buggy so bracing the frame would be no big deal I just wonder if I need to.

Towing 4,000lb trailer with my '73, 440 indian

Sent: 4/5/2006 6:33 AM

Thats the big question, and I dont know. Mine has the same type of frame extension - a 1/4 flitch plate welded on the inside of the frame over the butt joint, more rusty now than when it was made in 72.
I have seen some -back porch- extensions (with steel railings even) that must have weighed way over 100 pounds, even before the cargo was stuffed into it, though its possible some of them had braced the frame first. I have been in several RV junkyards and always check to see if I can find frame damage on the dodge chassis RVs. No evidence of failure. But not having found any broken extensions isnt good evidence about its strength.
And of course you can only guess about the peak tongue forces when going over a dip in the highway.
I have happily towed cars thousands of miles with a tow dolly and a tow bar, since the tongue weight is minimal. But so far, I have used my G-20 Chevy van for pulling the car trailer with a car on it.

If you decide to brace the frame, please show us pictures of the thing.