Installed LED

Started by JerryP, January 29, 2015, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Installed an LED light tonight

May double up on them, but so far very happy with just one of the 48 led squares

LED

LED

Incandescent

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

TerryH

Strongly suggest you consider changing all to LED's.
Reasons:
First, turn on your LED and an incandescent at the same time, leave them both on for an hour, and then touch both lense covers. You will find that the cover for the LED is very cool compared to the incandescent. The LED's lower heat created also means less heat transference to light fixtures, wiring, switches, and ceiling/wall/etc.

Second, but you likely cannot monitor for one light, the LED uses and draws far less power. Battery bank, inverter, converter, solar, all appreciate a lowered power draw. LED's throughout will lower your power usage hugely.

Third, initial cost is high, but longevity of LED's compared to incandescent bulbs far overrides their initial cost.

As an aside, consider your exterior lights - marker/parking/clearance/brake/turn/door/etc. however you wish to describe them, Lower the draw on your engine battery means you lower the draw on your alternator, increasing it's life and possibly the battery, and may have  small increase in MPG.

LED's, if you try them and monitor them, to me are great.

My opinion

Terry 
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

joanfenn

I agree Terry.  We changed all the interior lights in both the motor home and trailer to LEDs.  Nice clean bright lights and with all the camping we do we don't have to worry about the drain on the batteries.  Works well for us. :)ThmbUp

DonD

The LEDs I'm using=I can run 21 LEDs for the same juice is one of my old lamps.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

thisoldhippy

JerryP: Where did you get the lights? Looks great!!!

JerryP

http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Trading-48-SMD-Festoon-Adapter/dp/B00FKPJKKQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QH6CCTR5YRJK76K1R3D

The only issue is they sent the bulb adaptors, but they did not match my bulbs, so I had to solder them  together.
not a big deal, but I am going to try to find them with a adapter for my S1141 bulbs, 8.99 for 2 in a pretty decent deal though, and I like to solder anyway

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

thisoldhippy

TripleJ

Another link to amazon for those same LED units, slightly cheaper with free shipping :)ThmbUp

http://amzn.com/B00AW82TQS
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28