Dodge 440 Low Power

Started by Jer4sports, January 28, 2015, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jer4sports

I have 78 Chieftain with a Dodge 440.  Going uphills from 0 mph, it only gets to about 35-40 mph.  On the freeway, if I'm traveling at 65 mph, it can't sustain that speed going up even shorter hills where it'll drop down to 50-60 mph.  I'm also only getting about 5-6 mpg. 

Can anyone give me any ideas as to where the issue might lie? Carburetor?

Thanks, Jeremy

Rickf1985

When was the last time it was tuned up? The mileage is about normal. Did this change from before or is this a new vehicle to you?

Jer4sports

I bought it used back in October. The previous owner said he had it tuned up a little less than two years ago where he replaced the spark plugs and whatever else. I know these rigs are heavy, but I feel like I should expect more out of a 440, right?!

Only thing I know of that's wrong with the chassis is that there is an exhaust leak.

LJ-TJ

i?? Well as far as mileage that sounds about right. If I drive my 21 footer I get on average 4,5,6 miles to the gallon. When I let magic feet drive "the wife" she can consistently get 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. Go figure. I'm in agreement with Rick. Sounds like she needs a real good tune up and maybe check your timing. These old girls are nothing more than a glorified hot rod that you have to be tweaking all the time. Hm?

Rickf1985

Also keep in mind that with the alcohol in the gas nowadays the power will be down a bit and mileage will be down more than a bit. Thank your politicians.

Froggy1936

More info needed, Do you have a 4 bbl carb ? is it useing all 4 ? Where is the timeing set to ? Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.