Heater core removal 89 chieftain

Started by JerryP, January 27, 2015, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Anybody know the best way to get the heater core out to replace it.
I am guess ing through the dash.

If someone has some experience with it, it might save a lot of time from taking out the wrong screws.

Really need a service manual like Chilton for these things

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

If you become a full member we have just about every manual you would need on here for download or viewing.

JerryP

There it is found it, and signed up.
Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

JerryP

Got it, Figured it out. took about 25 minutes
Seems to be a nationally protected secret of some sort

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Quote from: JerryP on January 28, 2015, 02:47 PM
Got it, Figured it out. took about 25 minutes
Seems to be a nationally protected secret of some sort

OR, Maybe none of us has had to do it yet?

JerryP

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 28, 2015, 03:37 PM
OR, Maybe none of us has had to do it yet?

I suspect you are right, in my search I saw a lot of people recommending to just bypass it, and let the rear heater  take care of it.
Which does work,
Pretty much the same for the Dash AC, just fire up the gen, and run the roof air

Jerry P
A work in progress

Oz

Hey, you got it done quickly.  If only everything was that easy, eh?

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Quote from: JerryP on January 28, 2015, 04:14 PM

I suspect you are right, in my search I saw a lot of people recommending to just bypass it, and let the rear heater  take care of it.
Which does work,
Pretty much the same for the Dash AC, just fire up the gen, and run the roof air

That is all great until you need the defroster! Or you come in wet from filling that small 80 gallon tank in the rain and now the windshield is steaming up and you have no AC to dry the air so it clears the window. Roof air will not help you there. Fixing it is the right way to go. Same with the dash AC.

JerryP

Now to find a replacement or repair this one.. Hard to find part,

Found one for it that is the same measurements, but the inlet, and outlet are a little different.

http://store.stepvanparts.com/HEATER-CORE-50573.HTM
Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

I am looking at your old one laying on those patio blocks and I am thinking that it is longer than 14 inches? Anyway, the fittings can be changed by a shop, they can cut off the bends and solder on new ends. probably for not too much money. Make sure it is a snug fit all around so that all of the air goes through the core or you will have no heat. The air will take the path of least resistance so if there is a gap at an edge put some insulation tape there.

JerryP

core 14 1/8
tanks on the end 16,
and the inlet outlet is 18
Got the whole box out today, and I am going to make some changes to make it easier to service.
got the A coil out and cleaned the mud dauber out of it, found out the Max air/reg air, and vent vacuum switch is not working, allowing fresh air in all the time.

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

I hate vacuum controls! I miss the good old cable operated controls, you knew right away if it was working of not.

JerryP

Agree, I do not like air controls in anything, it is always an eventual problem, and maintenance hassle.
I got very familiar with the junk that all air controls are, working with commercial HVAC, building doors and locks run with air.
Thinking of doing all cable controls for the fresh air door in the box
With cables you can trouble shoot in about 10 seconds, lube it, or attach it and your done.
Jerry P
A work in progress

circleD

Now that sounds like a great upgrade.

JerryP

Got the new Heater core for the Chieftain front dash today.  Pretty much the same measurements as what I took out, except it costs 103.00 with shipping, instead of 275.00 plus shipping.103 is fair enough to me, as it is the size of about 3 heater core1/4 inch difference in length. different inlets, and outlets, not a big deal.Came from a company called Mill Supply, ordered from StepVan parts site.This weeks project will be putting it all back together. in a new core box, I am fabricating to make future replacement, and maintenance easier for the core, and AC coil. will also be easier to clean the coils in the future.

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Just make sure it is sealed up good all around the outer edges so you do not lose air around it. That is the first time I have seen a small vehicle heater core with screw in fittings, I am pretty sure I do not have them on mine. I am wondering if that was also a replacement.

bluebird

I think you're going to find you will have a lot less air flow with that coil. Are you sure the coil is rated for automotive use? That looks like a coil for   some kind of residential heater, and may not be rated for 250 degree water. Good luck.

Rickf1985

That is an aluminum replacement coil. They use fewer cores but a different core and fin configuration to make them more efficient than the old aluminum ones. And if he gets 250 degree water through there he is going to have other issues to worry about!

JerryP

Quote from: bluebird5750 on February 04, 2015, 10:14 PM
I think you're going to find you will have a lot less air flow with that coil. Are you sure the coil is rated for automotive use? That looks like a coil for   some kind of residential heater, and may not be rated for 250 degree water. Good luck.

Pretty sure it is OK for automotive, it came from a P30 parts site.

Jerry P
A work in progress

JerryP

Heater core in, I also went "Old School" pre AC days, and put a bypass system in for the Heater, so I can easily service the core in the future, or shut it off completely.
Also in the summer, I can completely shut it off.
Total cost for the heater core , and modifications, 160.00.
Had some heavy duty foam, to cut to shape, and place in the core housing to seal it up tight, so all the air goes through the coils, and there is no vibration inside of it

Jerry P
A work in progress

Froggy1936

Jerry, I think what you have there is a A/C evaporator coil . What are the hose diameter sizes ? If they are the same size as the old heater core you should be ok as the copper coils are superior to the aluminum tubes  but i have never seen a heater core that uses them . Temp in an automotive syestem never gets above 230-240 o under any circumstaces and pressures up to 25/30 lbs would be maximum . If it is an A/C part it is pressure tested to 400 PSI . and im sure that wont open anything on that core . The only problem is wether it will transfer enough heat to the air coming in  A/C hose sizes are 1/8-1/2 5/8 3/4 typical Heater usually 1/2 5/8 3/4 Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

JerryP

Worked fine today, did a great job of transferring heat.
It is copper, covered with Aluminum fins
Here is the link, and a picture
I have never seen and AC coil with 5/8" ends for a heater hose to attach to.

Jerry P
A work in progress

bluebird

Good job!!  Most of us old times haven't  a heater core like that before. Glad it works for you.

Rover71

Hi, I'm new here , hope this goes to Jerry P.
Just started to remove the heater core from our '89 Itasca, your photos help a lot.
Haven't got into it yet, but after taking the hoses off, the core has the same screw in fittings as yours, and as we have had this unit for 20 years and only 41,000 k on it at purchase, I' m sure the core is original.
Plan on purchasing the same one as you did if available and old one not repairable.I would be interested in seeing your ease of access fixes, if possible. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the help, also many other very useful posts on this forum.--Harv
Harv