Engine dies when warmed up

Started by wreckless17, January 19, 2015, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

Keep in mind that no matterhow much gas is in the tank the pick up point never changes, therefor the saying about letting the gas get too low and  sucking the crap off of the bottom of the tank really does not pertain.................. to a point. IF, you have a lot of garbage, as in heavy solids sloshing around in the bottom of the tank ten when it is very low this stuff will be splashed up and THEN it will get in the line. The problem is this, I have never seen a pickup that does not have a sock type filter on it. This can get clogged and the only ways to clean it are to remove the sender or blow air back through the line. The problem with blowing air through the line is that you can blow the sock off of the tube. This will clear the clog but now everything will come up the line. Be sure to have a filter before the fuel pump. ALSO, and this is important! You cannot do this if you have an electric pump in the tank and a regulator, you will blow out the regulator. Most pumps will not pass air backwards either. If in doubt about the problem get yourself an oldd fashioned vacuum tester and Tee it into the fuel line before the fuel pump. There should be almost no reading at all. If you have more than 2" of vacuum then you have a clogged filter or sock, or a bad hose. By the way, these gauges also check fuel pressure by putting the Tee on the carburetor side of the pump.

Rickf1985

And remember that clear plastic filter DO NOT fill completely with gas. I have seen so many people say there pump is bad because the filter is only half full. It is because of where the inlet and outlet are inside the filter.

Bennett77

The Auto Zone carb is still working great. They get them from up north.
Chief Engineer-My Craft Allows Me To Build ANYTHING IN THE WORLD. I possess a skill set 98% of the population can not do.

MinnieMe

My 1976 Dodge Minnie Winnie I just got us doing the same thing.  What did you find to be the problem?
I had the carburator rebuilt left first mechanic and it stalled at traffic light 10 mile from where it I got it. He had installed new fuel pump and filter also.
I took it to new mechanic shop after it stalled. Ask him to check it bumper to bumper and fix everything. Cost me $2000 for all repairs and complete tune up. I Left his shop and it stalled at traffic light exactly like before 4 miles away. He is stumped as to what it could be...
Meshel