What make is this heater control?

Started by Rickf1985, December 11, 2014, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Rick The 1995 Chev van that i got my engine & tranny from had a relay setup for a/c blower right up frt easy  to remove with a lot of harness connected   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

sasktrini

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 16, 2014, 06:19 PM
The relays are a good idea, I wish I could find good American made or German made Bosch relays WITH sockets. No Chinese crap!  Any ideas?

Even crappy relays will handle high current better than the switch alone.  Especially with the rat's nest of wiring in our dashes.  If the original switch burned up (which you haven't said, but I suspect is the case), how close was it to igniting something else?  Buy whatever and carry a spare relay.  How much cold weather use will you drive your rig in?  Would think basic stuff from Autozone would be fine.

If it was a daily driver for rain, sleet, snow or sun, then I might go best-quality relays.  My two cents.
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

The switch is acting like a loose wire or connection within the switch. The problem is that the wiring and hoses are so tight it is a major pain to get it out so I want a good one to put in and that way I can diagnose the old one at my leisure. This is not a daily driver but when I need the heat and/or especially the defrost I want it to work.

sasktrini

I'm I'm correct, that style of blower switch has a couple spring-loaded contact plates (like on old AFX slot cars) that arc really bad over time.  As the springs get soft and the contacts get dirty, it gets worse and worse.  I have disassembled and polished these contacts with a pencil eraser, but too often found the wiring connection at the switch (or the switch itself) burned and requiring replacement.

Typically, either the hot lead (which the switch diverts to Lo-Mid-Hi) or the Hi circuit lead are burned.  So you may be able to get away with just one relay for the hi circuit, if lack of space or minimal wiring fiddling requirements are considerations.
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

I have replaced Many burned up blower switches in Dodge vans since they are always on high. They just about always burn the plug up and this one is fine from what I can feel. I will get further into it over the holiday when I have time to work on it.

gpw9552

Rick,

Did you check with Lichtsinn Motors?

They should be able to get that info.

Rickf1985

Lichtsinn would most likely only be able to get me the Winnebago part number and I would bet it is about quadruple the price of a automotive supplier.

Rickf1985

Brian, I appreciate all the searching you are doing for me. It saves me time that I really don't have. The image looks right on the one for the 88 Dodge, but it is just an image. I will try to get it out tomorrow and get a better look at it and also see if I can find the problem. I also have a couple other major things going on here so bear with me. Got too late of a start on my wood this year so I am in split and stack panic mode and try to get it dry as fast as possible. A lot of it is dead fall so it is just wet from rain and will dry out in a couple weeks if it will ever stop raining and I can uncover it.