1986 WC420RG Minnie Winnie

Started by Bnova, November 22, 2014, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnova

Made some nice progress with the 20RG in the past few weeks.  When I first got it (11/4/14) I took it to my work place and did oil/filter on it and checked out some of the systems.  Did a lot of general cleaning and looking and fixing little stuff.

Next time I got to work on it I pulled the roof a/c cover to have a look and one of the rear studs twisted off to match the one in front that was previously twisted off.  Everything looked pretty good under the cover, but earlier when I had it at my work place it seemed like the a/c had a hard time starting up so I thought I'd have a look and I replaced all the start/run caps while I was in there.  Haven't had a chance to fire it back up yet, kind cold in Minnesota now so I'll wait till spring.  Still fixing the broken cover studs too, so I've got the condenser fan removed at the moment.

Then I thought something was slightly odd looking in the AC elec panel.  It turns out that someone had removed the 30 amp main CB and put the incoming 30 amp power wire directly to the bus.  Then installed a 20 amp CB in place of the 30 amp main for another branch circuit.  So the power cord was hard wired to the bus on the panel and I have two 20 amp CBs and one 15 amp GFCI CB and no main CB.  Ordered up a couple new CBs so I can get the panel back to the way it should be.

Last night I went to my storage unit to do some engine work and when I pulled the air cleaner cover off to replace the filters inside, it was half full of acorns.  So with getting my tires aired up about 30 psi more than what they were and letting the engine breath again I might gain one or two mpg.  It wasn't too bad to start with, I got 8.5 on the 120 mile trip home when I bought it.

Today I went and changed the spark plugs.  That's a job I don't want to have to do again any time soon, it's pretty tight in there.  Maybe that's why the plugs looked like they'd been there since new.  They all came out with not too much effort which I was pleased about.