Coach battery charges in pulses from alternator

Started by wreckless17, November 18, 2014, 09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreckless17

ok for some reason my coach battery when it is getting charged by the alternator the electricity is coming in a pulse which it is causing the house lights to flash in a pattern looking almost like morse code.  I'm completly lost i replaced the isolator and the switch on the dash.  I am completly stumped any help would be greatly appreciated

circleD

Check to see if the voltage is steady. Then check your connections. Look for rust, corrosion, loose connectors, and loose battery connections. Some battery clamps are tapered and if not installed correctly they want seat tight.

wreckless17

i did that  one of my battery terminals was loose tightened and it still continues it is only happening to the house battery not the starting battery

kattkisson

do you have a self resetting circuit breaker in the wire from the alternator? They sometimes get weak. The lights would be bright when it was in and dim with just the low battery voltage. They usually take a moment to set however.  If it has gone bad anything could possibly happen.

wreckless17

If I did where would it be I know there are a couple breakers in the battery compartment

brians1969

The old mechanical (points) voltage regulator would do that on mine. I replaced it with an electronic version and it improved it somewhat but it would still do that to the house lights until it got the house battery charged up.  I also have an isolator. Mine is a 69 though.  I think in 70 or 71 Chrysler changed the charging system.

I wouldn't notice it on the automotive part of the electrical system but I would definitely see it in the house lights.  My house battery hasn't been really discharged, so it really hasn't been a problem.