How do I trace out wiring inside the coach?

Started by moonlitcoyote, October 23, 2014, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

So after I changed out my converter I found that I seem to have a dead wire. When you have a blown fuse, or take a fuse out an LED light will light up to tell you which fuse is blown. But I have a wire that did not light up the LED when I removed the fuse..

The RED wire in this photo is listed as lights, I took the fuse out and the LED did not light up telling me the fuse was blown. So with the fuse out I turned on every light I could think of and they all worked. SO my question is.. How do I figure out where this wire goes to? And please dont tell me I have to take all my walls out to trace it out.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not see a fuse for fridge.  Is it still connected to a backup battery so there is no current flow on the offending leg?

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

So I found that whatever the fuse controls has to be turned on for the LED to light up, but I still have not figured out what the red wire controls so still looking for info on how to trace out wires.

Dave, I found that my fridge is directly connected to something in the battery bay. I am not sure what but when we get a little more time I plan on tracing that out and I guess starting a new post about that.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not sure what the red wire is for MJ.  Wire tracing is just that, wire tracing.  Never fun.  Try to determine which way it is going then see if you can see it emerge somewhere down stream (cabinet, closet, etc.) The fridge battery bay thingy may be a fuse.

Dave
[move][/move]

sasktrini

I found the same with my fridge… I suspect it's tied in with the alternator, and doesn't run off the battery… like 12V mode is only for driving.  Lemme know what you find.
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

I don't know what you have to spend but you can be wire tracers for 50-60 dollars. Includes a signal generator and a tracer probe. Makes life a LOT easier when wires are bundles or hidden.