Valve cover spreader bars on a Dodge 413

Started by 72-d24, October 21, 2014, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72-d24

From reading on this forum, I learned that it is easier to replace the spark plugs with the valve covers off. That works for me because my valve covers are leaking and need new gaskets anyways. I have been advised to not use any silicone on the engine and my brother in law wants me to install spreader bars on the valve cover bolts to help with the seal and stop the leaks. From what I can find, they don't make spreaders for a Big Block Dodge, only Chevy, and those Chevy ones won't fit (my brother in law has some on his GMC and we pulled one to see).

Anyone with this engine ever put spreader bars on the valve covers? Got a parts number?

legomybago

Use a small ball peen hammer (flat side), place valve cover mounting tabs on a good flat surface, and gentlely pound the bolt hole locations flat again. When reinstalling do not over torque the bolts....Use a cork gasket, with Spray tack adhesive to hold gasket in place..
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

I used spreader bars on the valve covers and I don't think they were any benefit over doing exactly what legomybego suggests (which is what I did after taking the spreaders off).

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

Agree with Mark and Legomybego.

If you are worried about the hammer alone, use the flat end of a cold chisel, etc. against the cover and hit it with the hammer.

Works great for your oil pan as well.

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

Sorry mate, have to concur with the gang. I had the same problem with my 318 and 440 valve covers . Found a flat piece of steel and a ball-peen hammer and tapped the valve covers flat again. The TRICK is when you put them back on is to use a cork gasket and DO NOT over torque the valve cover bolts. 

72-d24

Great, thanks everyone! Having a consensus is so reassuring, especially when I am just trying to figure this stuff out as I go along. I understand the concept of the spreaders and see where their application could help with this problem, but it is curious that there are none for a Dodge, which makes it seem as though using them is not the way to go. Besides, who needs an added expense, right.

Thanks, Legomybego and others, for the detailed instructions. My brother in law has already done the "body" work on the valve covers. I am not sure what technique he used, but he is a body man and feels confident they are as straight as can be. We will be careful not to over tighten them.

Sorry to take so long responding. I had a large amount of online work to do yesterday and every time I took a moment to try to reply, I kept messing up my post or loosing everything I wrote. So frustrating. Getting it figured out, though.