New guy here

Started by Bnova, October 14, 2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnova

So you guys probably wouldn't be much afraid of a 1991 23 ft class A 454 Warrior that has 107K miles?

LJ-TJ

Oz

No picture = it doesn't exist.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Bnova

Yeah it doesn't exist for me yet any, maybe this weekend.

Can someone explain for me the differences between the Brave, Warrior and Chieftain?  Thanks

[smg id=6826]

Oz

Best thing to do is go to the Member Area - > Resources - > Winnebago - > Model year brochures.  You can bring up the models by year and look at the brochures.  It's interesting to see the transition from the late 1960s on. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wantawinnie

Welcome! 1991 is practically a new rig here.  ;)

Bnova

I wouldn't be too worried about it normally, but her first trip out will be a 4000 miler that we have to make.  Daughter graduates from college in the spring and the first leg is about 1600 miles.  We'll leave Wed night after work and drive as long as we can, rest and then drive somemore.  I'm sure I'll be the only one driving so unless the wife gets brave (Warrior ha ha) there won't be any switching off.  Graduation is on Sat so we need to be there Fri night.

I drove two other Winnies that had the same 454 with TBI, both were between 70K and 80K miles and they run beautiful.  But this one and it's drivetrain have about 40K more miles, that's my concern I guess.  Hopefully I can run and check it out tomorrow.  Guess we'll see.  Thanks 

LJ-TJ

Ok! So slow down and don't let your enthusiasm get the best of you. Yes she's a sweet looking rig and remember looks can be deceiving. We have a check list on site that will take you slowly and methodically through all the checks in order to buy a used rig. It's worth it's weight in gold and will save you a lot of grief. If your like the rest of us someone has to pull back on the rains to slow you down a bit so you don't go plowing into a mess because your enthusiasm  got the best of you. Hey we've all been there and that's how and why this check list got made. Good luck. D:oH!

Bnova

Good advice, and I do have the checklist.  I've been searching for the past two years and just haven't found the right rig yet.

LJ-TJ

;) Can't wait to hear how you make out. :)ThmbUp

Wantawinnie

Don't forget to get AAA or Good Sam membership in case something happens.

eXodus

the 454 TBI engine should last to about 150k or more miles without getting rebuilt.

The older carburated 454 did only about half the miles without some overhaul.  But the gearbox ! See if it's shifting nice and smooth. This thing would be my major concern.
I would get a Transmission oil change at a transmission shop before you leave. They should be able to tell you if this thing is it doing for another couple thousand of miles.

Grease the front Axel, Rear Axle fluid change and it should be fine.

LJ-TJ

• Got to thinking about getting the wife to drive the rig. For most gals not all but for most gals the size (length) is intimidating. If you want her to drive the new rig DON'T put her behind the wheel in the city or on the Interstate first time out or on a windy day. If you get a chance and if she offers, let her start, out of town on a secondary road were the speed is around 50 miles an hour and it doesn't matter if she does 30 miles an hour or 50. Then sit back shut up and let HER drive and get the feel of it. If after a few miles she's had enough for one day say no sweat and take over.Once she starts to get the hang of it, then suggest some of the tricks of the trade. Once my wife got the hang of it, I can't get her out from behind the wheel. She loves it. She sits tall in the saddle and can see over all the other vehicles and loves driving it. :)ThmbUp

Bnova

More good advice, in regards to getting the wife to take an interest in driving. 

Well, we're still a long ways off yet, as LJTJ said about pictures, I could get there and this thing could be a total POS.  Still waiting to hear from the owner whether or not I'll be able check it out this weekend.

Bnova

Hold the show, cab air doesn't work and no cruise control.  I could probably fix the ac, but no cruise would be tough on long hauls.  I have installed aftermarket cruise on a vehicle we have, but I'm not up for it right now.  Gonna let it go.

eXodus

Dash A/C could be expensive.

I thought that mine has only a loose belt - but everything was dead, compressor stuck, leaks everywhere. They had changed probably everything.

Bnova

Yeah, bummer, movin on.

Bnova

Ok guys, here's where we're at.  Found a really nice 1986 Minnie Winnie 20 ft.  Then I went to Winnebago's website to grab the wire diagrams and such, only to find out that they don't have any of that published on anything older than 1990.  Bummer, so I'm wondering or asking if you'd know if those manuals happen to be published anywhere else?

I suppose you're going to want a pic too right?

Elandan2

The 1986 owner's manual is available from Winnebago, part number 054185-24-000.  You can find that information in the Winnebago Catalog:  http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf
on page 216.  You would have to order that through a dealer.
I have had success in the past with writing to Winnebago and requesting the wiring diagrams.
The 1988 owner's manual is available on their website for download.  I don't know how much that would help you but...  http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals1988.php
Hope that helps.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Bnova

Thanks Rick, it does have the owners manuals for the chassis, coach and the appliances.  I'll have to look through all of the documents I guess to see if there's any additional diagrams.  If not, I'll do like you said and talk to Winnebago about getting the electrical and plumbing diagrams.  Everything works fine on it, I just like to have and study that stuff.

We go to pick it up tomorrow night!  Yee ha

Bnova

Got er home, she drove like a dream on the (120 mile) trip home.

[smg id=6847]

LJ-TJ

That's it??????????That's it you keep us in suspense for weeks and the best we get is " got her home she drove like a dream! No pictures. No I couldn't get the wife out of the drivers seat. Bummer.

Bnova

Is the pic not visible?

Wife is afraid to drive right now, but she did drive the car back home for me.  Just under 54K miles, oh and the wife does love it by the way.  She said that she was always hoping we'd get a minnie winnie cause she thought the name was so cute.

It was a long process, but finally found what I was looking for.  I looked at a lot of class A and my wife really wanted us to get something smaller, so this it.  It looks clean as a whistle underneath and really did drive beautiful on the way home.

We'll get er into the shop this weekend and do some detailing on er.

LJ-TJ

• Naw the picture didn't come up on the Winnebago site. BUT sounds like your in. Sounds like the wife likes it just find and is interested in driving her just not yet. Good Show. You guys are going to have a blast with this rig. :)ThmbUp

joanfenn

That is odd, I can see a picture Hm?.  At least I can see a white Minnie winnie with a brownish stripe.  Looking good :)ThmbUp