New guy here

Started by Bnova, October 14, 2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnova

Just about to pull the trigger on a 1992 Brave M27RC, Chev 454 79K miles.  I know I can get it for $7,500, but might be able to get it for 7K.  It seems like a pretty good value to me, it's in pretty nice shape.  I'll need to clean up the oxidized exterior, but other than that it looks pretty good.

What are your thoughts on the price?  Thanks

DaveVA78Chieftain

If in good condition then yes a reasonable price for a TBI based 454 rig.  (5-9K depending on condition)
Make sure you look at tire age.  That can be a $1500 bill alone.
Do all the appliances work?
Roof and or Window leaks?
Tanks (Fresh, Grey, Black) all hold water?  No plumbing leaks
Water heater in good shape? Hold water (was not busted open from winter freeze)
Fridge work on both propane and 110VAC?
Furnace work?
Toilet hold water? (Like a sink J trap, acts as a seal to prevent oder in the rig)

Dave
[move][/move]

Bnova

Thanks for the suggestions Dave, I did a pretty thorough walk around on it the other day and checked all the appliances and tires.  I'll have to check the toilet as you mentioned.  Looks good also for no window or roof leaks. 

So is the TBI system on that 454 a pretty good reliable system?

eXodus

Hello Bnova,

I've got basically the same rig in 29 feet.  The TBI is noisy but really good on Gas you can drive it with 10mpg and very reliable.

I got mine with cracked tires ($1200 at campingworld), broken toilet ($70), broken leveling jack ($200), dead dash A/C ($1000) no AC producing generator (not replaced yet but probably 500), refrigerator ($130)   for $3500

So if all this stuff works (and everything else)   $7000 would be no bad deal.
I got this model because it's empty really light weight (12,000lbs) and can tow very heavy.  GCWR 19500 up 21000lbs

Look at the dash A/C - you won't go without it.

Bnova

When I ran the engine last week, I could tell that the dash ac is working.  There are just so many other motorhomes out there that are new, nicer, less miles, for around the same price. 

I'm new to all of this, so here's a question, is Winne better than all the rest? i??

And thanks for the comforting reply eXodus

eXodus

Miles doesn't matter if the engine got it's oil change regularly.
The chassis is good 500k.

Basically you are looking into a buying a P30 chassis which has proof to be reliable. It was produced from the late 60s until 1996.
So you get a lot of parts very, very cheap and readily available. Every truck shop in the whole country knows this thing if anything goes wrong.

Sure you could buy a newer one which was only produced in low numbers, but if something happens ?
The question is more, are you going to drive or are you going to live in it ?

No Winnebago is not automatically better, just produced bigger numbers.

Bnova

One thing I like already is the availability of all the manuals!!  I'm a mechanic by trade and I love manuals, I had to actually call the mfg of another motorhome to get length and height specs.  I searched the web quite lengthy and finally gave up and called.  With the Bago it's all right there on the web easy and quick to find.

Well, we'll see what my wife thinks of it tomorrow.  Thanks again for the replies, good info.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteSo is the TBI system on that 454 a pretty good reliable system?

Reasonably good.  It is a OBD1 based system.  Does not give you as many codes as OBD2 based system.  I have a OBD1 based 3.8L V6 in my 92 Lumina APV van.  You may have to dig a little to find a code reader.  You can flash codes with the check engine light.  The 91 Fuel and Emissions Service Manual in the Free Manuals section should handle most everything for the TBI and ignition system.  I use an older Actron CP9145 code reader on my Lumina which may also work on your rig.  I also use TunerPro RT (http://www.tunerpro.net/) to monitor my system when troubleshooting some problems.

Dave
[move][/move]

eXodus

just looked at the floor-plan of the 27RC - way better then the 27RQ

I like the dinette right across of the kitchen counter. This makes things really easy.
But the wifes approval is probably more value than any good Technics gymics.

bakerman

:)clap Best of luck on you new adventure the Brave is a fine coach keep them shining

Bnova

Ok, it drives pretty well, runs really nice.  Front end needs a little work, the left front tire is worn on the inside, the steering wheel is not straight and it wanders constantly going down the highway.  All the rest of the tires have good tread and are evenly worn.

The front end became the show stopper for us, the dealer would not come down below $7500.  I would probably have pulled the trigger if they would have settled for 6500, but no dice.

We also after being on a little vacation to Duluth Mn this past week, decided to go smaller like 21 ft for maneuverability.  For now anyway, we won't tow a vehicle behind unless it is our motorcycle.  Maybe take bicycles with and if we really dig the whole idea, go for a bigger MH in the future.

LJ-TJ

There yeah go. So now it's find a 1975 21'footer with a 440. You'll love it.>GRIN<
http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/4682107423.html

Bnova

Yeah, I gonna keep looking.

LJ-TJ

Not knowing what your looking for exactly. There's just Lauren and I . We've found the 21 footer to be perfect for running around town. It fits perfect in parking spots like Olive Garden or Cheep Charlies of even in Hospital parking lots. The Lincon Continental we just sold was 22' long bumper to bumper. It will fit perfectly on a regular tilt and load if you have to have it towed. While we had one with a 318 and it was more than acquit, after having a 440 it's the only way to go and for the difference if fuel mileage it's worth every penny for the extra power. Not to mention it opens all kinds of possibilities for towing. If you get the eyebrow Winnebago you'll have a ball meeting all the people that use to have one and wish they never sold it as well as all the smiles and waves you'll get driving down the interstate. Not that I'm byest.  :laugh:

xerofall

Quote from: Bnova on October 20, 2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I gonna keep looking.

That's the best attitude... if anything major went wrong with the other one, all you'd hear about is "We paid $7500 for THIS!?!?!" Gets old fast.  :)

There are plenty of options as long as you have time.

brians1969

Since  we are heading towards winter (and away from camping season), you may find the dealer a little more agreeable on a snowy day! How many people are rv shopping now?

cosmic

Quote from: LJ-TJ on October 20, 2014, 05:23 PM
Not knowing what your looking for exactly.  . We've found the 21 footer . Not that I'm byest.  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: D:oH! W% W% W% W%

But what he said was true. you can go anywhere relatively easy. Not so easy in those long ones.

Bnova

Hey, thanks all the encouraging replies.  I love vintage stuff, we have a 1972 El Camino, a 1964 Olds Cutlass and a 1975 Harley Davidson XLCH Sportster in the way of vintage stuff.  I'd love to find a vintage Winne!

bakerman

I'm sorry your deal did not work out. I looked for a year before I found my 1996 Allegro I use to have a 34 ft Coachman DP had it for 8 years got rid if it and we wanted to down size. I looked at a 10 mh's before I found what we wanted at the right price and size. Our Allegro is 28m and it handles like a sports car easy to drive and light weight. Keep looking and a deal will show up.  :)ThmbUp     

Bnova

Thanks for the encouragement Bakerman, I am determined to find the right unit.

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the best bunch of classic RV brains on the planet!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Quote from: LJ-TJ on October 19, 2014, 02:22 PM
There yeah go. So now it's find a 1975 21'footer with a 440. You'll love it.>GRIN<
http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/4682107423.html
These were famous for the idler assemblies getting loose and a lot of mechanics did not know how to deal with them. They are adjustable.  A new assembly is just over a hundred bucks and you can get upgraded ball bearing assemblies for about 300.00 if I remember correctly. If that is the only problem you might want to revisit it. Your call.

cosmic

Is it just me or is that rig just freakin beautiful.  W%
I emailed this guy for more pics but did not get a response. looks to be mint, but one pic is just not enough to determine that. not to mention the 6 hour drive to go get it. I would have thought if he wanted to sell it. he would respond to his emails. oh well i??

Just wanted to mention Rick drove a similar vintage Indian across the country and back this summer. These old rigs are built to last and don't let the age scare you. They are simple yet strong.

M & J

Oh! That's only 3 hours from me.
M & J

Rickf1985

Quote from: Rickf1985 on October 23, 2014, 07:03 AM
These were famous for the idler assemblies getting loose and a lot of mechanics did not know how to deal with them. They are adjustable.  A new assembly is just over a hundred bucks and you can get upgraded ball bearing assemblies for about 300.00 if I remember correctly. If that is the only problem you might want to revisit it. Your call.
I quoted the wrong post when I posted that, I should have referred to your post about the front end problems.