1972 Chieftan build-up and restoration thread

Started by Chief Crazy Canoe, October 07, 2014, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

I gotta say, this is my first time reading this thread and I cringed when I saw your expected timeline in the beginning ???

I tried something similar this spring and it ended up taking me all summer :laugh: and that's with a newer GMC chassis = I can pretty much get everything off the shelf at oreillys/napa/etc (so long as I can find out what part# fits my chassis)

Keep at it tho. At the rate you're going it will be solid in no time. We're doing short drive cool weather trips now and loving it.
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Oz

When I went to the main link and clicked on the topic headings to copy the URL for the SP block, all of them came up with the home page link on the address line.  Is the server using truncated urls?  Also, when I went to view some of the topics farther down the list, the pages weren't displaying.

i??

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Chief Crazy Canoe

So - I get home from vacation with a renewed vigor for the Chieftain!  Great to get away from work and the stress of trying to get the RV ready for a long road trip - just took a toll...so it was good to leave it home and just enjoy time with family.

Now that I'm back on the hunt for more parts - the search continues!  I found a junkyard with a shifter cable - off of a 1976 Brave.  They're going to pull it out tomorrow and we'll measure 'em up and see if it works.  Interestingly it is on the left side of the dash in the older model - and mine is on the right side.  My shifter cable is a bout 2' too long - as it is routed horribly...perhaps the left side may be shorter and a better fit afterall - I'll find out tomorrow.

Chief Crazy Canoe

On the 5-lug 19.5" wheel combo stuff....

The junkyard said they were off of a Pace Arrow.  They couldn't tell me much more - other than they had discs up front - and drums in the rear.  5-lugs - matched identically to mine.  Next time I'm at that junkyard - I'll do some more digging and see if I can find more info on the Pace Arrow - I didn't get to see the vehicle they came off of in the daylight - it was already getting dark rummaging around the junkyard - and the guy was nice enough to let me do some diggin for parts that late in the day.

I will say, with the new 19.5 Hankook tires up front and 4-freshly retreaded commercial tires in the rear - it rides like an absolute dream!!  I do know that my passenger side king-pin is a little loose - as there is some movement in/out when I force the wheel to move on the vertical plane.  I know that Alretta sells the kingpin sets for around $80 a pair.  May be worth it to have 'em shipped and just be done with it - unless someone tells me of another source.  No sence in wearing out new $$$ tires because of a kingpin being out of spec.

I also called the folks at Precision Rebuilders in Missouri - what a great bunch of people!  Ask for Tim - he really knows his stuff about the air over hydraulic braking system with the HydroVac units!  He can rebuild 'em - should take about 12 days to receive 'em from the time I ship mine to him and he does his magic.

He also mentioned that he can rebuild my master cylinder - may go ahead and have him do that at the same time - as mine is leaking a little on the pushrod seal.

Chief Crazy Canoe

As far as exhaust stuff goes -(last major thing besides the brakes)   W%

I still need the 4-bolt exhaust flanges for these stock manifolds.  I knew I was gonna kick myself in the bum for only buying the $80/ea manifolds instead of the $350 set - which included flanges and gaskets and new exhaust bolts.  Just tried to safe some $$ - thinking that any exhaust shop would have a 4-bolt flange - boy was I mistaken!!

I've called over 15 exhaust shops - and none of 'em have anything....so its a fab-job.  Hopefully in the next weeks I'll have some time on the weekend to get out and make some serious progress on the RV.  I'll work to get the boosters and MC pulled this weekend and get 'em shipped out....unless.....someone chimes in and says otherwise.

Anyone with an opinion about the Precision Rebuilders vs. Alretta vs another supplier for Boosters and Master Cylinders?

TripleJ

Any chance of using a 2 bolt flange and only using two of the holes on the manifold?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

legomybago

As much work as you've done on your own already on that rig, you shouldnt be afraid of tearing those hydrovacs down, clean them up, and rebuild yourself, There is only a handful of seals and o-rings to replace. They aren't that difficult. Order the kits, and take your time...I've rebuilt 3 of them in the last couple of years, it was a foreign job at first, but when done, it was pretty easy. Just dont do what I did..I couldnt get the long push rod out on one, so I used my hammer and a long punch to beat the rod out, well, that broke an inner bushing!! Try not to beat on them! lol

The last couple of "reman rebuilt" MC's I've taken apart, have had worn inner bores...cores not worth rebuilding= waste of money. If your MC is original, then you will probably be ok with rebuilding it. Take the MC apart first and check it out, if iffy (grooves or scratched inner bore or pitted), buy NEW, not rebuilt..These MC's have been around so long, a lot of the rebuilt cores are junk. Same reason they stopped selling rebuilt Ford 390 water pumps, only new ones now, the exchanged cores were getting old and junkie.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Chief Crazy Canoe

Lego-

Where do you get the MC and HydroVac booster rebuild kits?  I'm not opposed to tearing 'em apart (carefully) and reassembly - but need accurate documentation as to the process.

khantroll

Here is a link showing the rebuild process: http://chevyc60.com/bendix_hydrovac_overhaul.htm

And here are some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCsW-eKrw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keChCevuKk8

As to where to get the rebuild parts, the link above lists Reman Inc, but ebay also has the kits occaisonally, as does a couple of classic car places as they were used on Chevy trucks

legomybago

Here is where I purchased my rebuild kits....

I used gun barrel bore brushes to clean up the inner bores..I used some light are pressure from the compressor and some soapy water to check for air leaks before I reinstalled them in the rig. As much stuff as you have done to your rig already, you will have no problem rebuiding your hydrovacs....

http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN206x161559764&id=YN206x161559764&q=Brake+Specialty+Company+Inc+Atlanta+GA&qpvt=brake+specailties+atlanta+georgia
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy