Brake Warning Indicator Light stays on - 73 Brave

Started by Reid, October 02, 2014, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reid

Hi All,

I only have the Brake Warning Indicator Light on when the Lights are on?!?  Then only one half of the light is on (Left Side).   Replaced the Master Cylinder and Booster.  I have been through all the Brakes.  Just recently replaced the rear Wheel Cylinders made sure all the springs were intact.   Even replaced the two brake pressure hydraulic lines in the front.   The Front Discs look excellent.   Bleed the System.   No apparent leaks anywhere.  The Brakes system seems to be working as it should be.    My question is that I only have one half of the light on and only when the lights are on.   Wondering now if it is Electrical now?!    Any suggestions? 

Reid
Tucson, AZ

Elandan2

What you are describing seems to be simply a problem with the cluster itself.  From your description, it sounds like the "wall" surrounding the brake warning light is broken or separated from the face of the cluster allowing the light from the gauge illumination to partly light the warning light area.  A way to test this would be to turn on the running lights, then dim the dash lights and see if the brake warning "light" dims accordingly.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

rustyzman

If only half the indicator light is lit, it is possible that the cardboard tube that funnels the light from the bulb to the plastic "brake" indicator is dislodged.  I would certainly look there.  (assuming this is a standard dodge cluster).  Lighting only when the lights are on sounds like a short in that circuit.  Pull back the cluster and take a look.
  I have seen several dodge chassis's with an erroneous brake indicator on, including my own.  Under normal circumstances that indicator would come on if a pressure loss occurred between the two master cylinder circuits and reset via centering springs when the problem was corrected.  I know that there were some differential pressure valves in the 70's that did not self correct and needed to be done manually.  This was done by pressing the pedal and opening a bleeder on either the front or rear circuit slowly until the valve re-centered and the light went off.  Obviously you may have to try a front one and then a rear one if the front one does not shut it off. 
The fact that this only happens when you have lights on makes me think you have a short to running light power on the brake indicator circuit or a poor ground feeding back through that bulb.

Reid

Thinking about this, the parking lights and instruments lights are on different circuits and the switch for the instrument panel is not a rheostat.  How then would I dim the panel lights?

I am thinking more and more it is a ground problem or short somewhere.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

Reid