North Carolina, 2014

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, September 27, 2014, 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Safe and sound in the parking lot of the North Carolina Renaissance Festival!  No mechanicals at all getting here, and averaged 7.2mpg on the very hilly (Appalachians) 435 miles here. Not too shabby!

We'll be staying in the parking lot tonight, and moving into our campsite first thing in the morning.  The Faire already leveled and gravelled the campsite as part of a big improvement project they are doing, so I won't have to level the rig or get rid of the brush and whatnot like every other year.  SWEET!  The RV will be in almost the same spot, just facing differently, with the same amount of room for the porch, workshop area, and a fencing for the dogs. 

Thus begins a new chapter, our last faire before Winter Vacation 2014-2015 begins!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

pvoth1111

Good job!!!!....how many miles on those Samson's....still no problems...
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

ClydesdaleKevin

Back and forth across the country twice now, and three times on the first pair we got which we are still running.  The Samson tires are awesome and show NO signs of premature wear...and they hold air WAY better than the Michelins did.  I had to top the Michilins off every trip.  I've only had to top off the Samsons once, this past year in Muskogee...and then only a few psi each. 

All moved into camp and the camp is all set up.  Tomorrow, rain or shine, I'll be setting up the workshop and the dog fencing. Then on Tuesday I'll set up the display tent and Patti and I will decorate it and make it all pretty with flowers and mulch and whatnot.  Wednesday and Thursday I'll finish building the last of the catapults needed for opening day...and with any luck we'll have Friday off!  Sweet!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

pvoth1111

Did you say they are showing signs of wear.....

ClydesdaleKevin

Typo, just edited...lol!  NO signs of premature wear.  Oops!

Kev

pvoth1111

So then its you with the premature wear then....got it :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

So all the musical chairs crap is done (moving this stuff here, that stuff there, etc.), and everything is staged at our display booth area, and the workshop area.  Then the rest of the day was spend setting up the the dog fence around the porch and their exercise area.  Finished that much around 4pm and called it a day!  Lots more to do tomorrow!

And I got a new vape toy!  A genuine Swiss made Squape Reloaded!  It wasn't cheap, but I don't think it could possibly get any better than this device.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Underhill pavilion is almost all set up.  Just some final details to do with Patti on the setup this morning, then back to work setting up the workshop tent and workshop.  I have to get it all set up and get all my routering done today on the trebuchets and ballistae, since its supposed to rain HARD tomorrow!  I'll be shooting for getting them done today if possible, but if not I can finish them up in the tent tomorrow.  And then opening weekend this Saturday and Sunday!

Kev

pvoth1111

May the clouds of mega profit drench you in their dewy love. D:oH!

circleD

The rain will be here at 4ish and not last long. It will cause a lot of damage so batton down the hatches. We have a saying in NC Kev. If you don't like the weather just wait 5-10 minutes and it'll change  :D. Hope you have a good opening weekend  :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Workshop is all set up and ready to rock and roll!  Patti is still working on setting up the booth, since she's meticulous...but she'll finish up pretty early tomorrow.  I'll be working most of the day getting the trebuchets and ballistae finished and stained, but shouldn't be a late day since I did so much prep work in Ohio.

Supposed to rain HARD tomorrow afternoon/evening, but the weekend looks clear with nice weather!  Awesome!  Good times will be had by all!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Off to Walmart bright and early for marshmallows, snack bags, paper bags, stain and a bucket...and another brass water pressure regulator (ANOTHER one bit the dust!  I go through 2 or 3 of these things a year...geesh!).

Then back to camp, where I have to get the parts for the catapults routered before the impending rain storm late this afternoon...then assemble them, string them, and stain them...hopefully before the rain.

Supposed to be great weather on the weekend though!  Patti will be finishing setting up the booth while I'm working on the catapults.  Busy busy!

Kev

tiinytina

Where in NC????? I'm driving to Raleigh today.....
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Mr. T

He is in Huntersville, NC.  This is north of Charlotte, NC.  About a three and 1/2 hour drive from Raleigh.

Don

ClydesdaleKevin

Trebuchets are DONE and stained!  The Ballistae are all ready to assemble, but we have 2 on the table, so the rest of those can wait until next week.  I didn't finish the trebuchets until after 4pm, and have about 3 hours to go on the Ballistae.  It can wait, since we have a couple for opening weekend.

And Patti did an amazing job setting up the booth!  She even washed every single catapult and the table cloths and skirts and the works.  It all looks fresh and new again...lol!

Storm still hasn't hit us yet...just a gentle breeze and a few drops of rain.  I really AM hoping it pours tonight though...our Underhill pavilion REALLY needs a bath after all the dust from So Cal!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Great opening day at the Carolina Renaissance Festival!  I think its our best opening day ever here.  I LOVE the owner of this Faire!  He puts out a LOT of money in advertizing!  This and Arizona are my absolute favorite shows...and he owns them both.  Coincidence?  Anyhow, we are well stocked for tomorrow with both catapults AND marshmallows.  Then its going to be a CRAZY busy week building a TON of catapults for next weekend, 3 kids days in a row immediately following, and stock for the following weekend since we'll be working the kids days.  Gonna be crazy!  THEN it will slow down to just busy...and I can get some projects done, like installing Patti's dishwasher, replacing the dinette bench seat plywood under the cushions, etc.  And somewhere in all this find time to fix the truck, or have a shop or my friend Gabe do it...if HE has time, since he got promoted on the faire staff ladder (head of commissary) and barely has time to breathe now...lol!  And will have to MAKE time at least 3 times a week to bring the dogs out to the field to chase balls until they are fully exercised to the point of exhaustion, which they need.  And change the oil and filters and grease everything on the RV before the trip out west for our winter vacation...and the list goes on and on and on.  LOVE this faire.  It always amazes me what Patti and I manage to accomplish here each year considering how busy it is!

Kev

pvoth1111

Dishwasher....spoiled a little maybe?? ;).....did ya get one of the "dishdrawers"? wheres it gonna go? Cant wait to see updates.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  The dishwasher was a gift from a friend in Ohio...he had it sitting around gathering dust in his garage.  Apparently unused with owner's manual inside.  It is a white countertop style made by Danby...made right in Ohio, USA.  It fits perfectly right on top of the washer/dryer cabinet...which is convenient since that puts it right over the plumbing and electrical for the Splendide, so tying it in won't be hard at all.  I just have to fabricate unobtrusive foot brackets so it stays secure when we are traveling.  Just like the washer/dryer, we won't be using it when we boondock...but it sure will be nice when we are parked at a Renfaire campground or other campground with hookups!

Time to finish my coffee, and open the booth!  Beautiful cool weather again!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Overall it was a great weekend!  Tomorrow (after Monday morning Bizarre Bazaar with Patti) I'll get materials, probably hit the local vape shop, buy dog food and tick collars (back in the South, so watch out for Erlichia!), get a quote from the local garage to install the new TREs on my truck and center the steering and adjust the toe in and probably make an appointment, buy at least 12 bales of cedar shavings to spread out in the fenced in area of our camp for the dogs and then spread it out, figure out what I need to make Patti's dish washer work and possibly get the parts for it, and that should take most of the day...which is my only "day off" this week.  Mondays are my only "day off" at any busy show, so its when I try to get the majority of my shopping, projects, and running around taken care of.  If I finish early enough, we'll take the dogs to the parking lot to chase some balls!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Woohoo!!!  While running my errands, I decided to get an oil change...and was referred by the kids working there to Diezel 4x4 in Cornelius, NC...just down the road.  Great bunch of HONEST guys, and Mr. Diezel...which is really his last name...personally inspected my truck to see why it was floating all over the place, and to see what I'd need to make it safe and driveable for Patti.  He came back in and said my ball joints look good, and even the tie rod ends, although missing the boots, seemed tight and just fine.  He asked me if he could adjust a "few angles" and said would cost me 80 bucks.  SURE!  So he tightened up everything in the front end, adjusted the steering box, and adjusted the toe-in, which was more than an inch off.  He also centered the steering, so I now have full steering to the left AND right.  And MAN does the K5 Blazer handle WAY better now!  Because the tires are damaged from so long running with a bad alignment, it doesn't feel perfect...but as soon as we throw new tires on her she should be absolutely perfect.  At least its safe now!

He even has a very good set of 33x12 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain tires that he'll sell me for 300 bucks installed, which is cheaper than just 2 new BFGoodrich ATs which are on there right now.  I'm certainly thinking about it!

Regarding the lift, to do any real offroading safely, at the very least I have to replace the u-bolts on the rear axle, which are a joke.  Cheap though!  However, he might even have full spring take-offs in his storage shed which he is going to look into this week.  He also said that if the Rough Country lift kit I can buy is 499.00 bucks, he can probably match the price INSTALLED, or maybe just a little more.

He knows his stuff, and is HONEST!  The K5 Blazer drives WAY better already!

Kev

Froggy1936

Hi Kev So what you are saying is you got a $800.00 oil change ?  But Frt end geometry is very important , As is rear suspension not moveing on its mounts. Anytime you lift a veh from the factory specs You change the dynamics proportionally to the amt of lift So dont expect it to ever handle like a stock unit ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

I'll throw my 2cents in on the lift.  I've been there and done that with my son's jeep.  Just how much off-roading are you planning to do?  Remember, this is your daily driver and the more you lift and/or enlarge the tires, the more top heavy and squirrelly it becomes.   Your gas mileage will suffer and Patti certainly won't like driving it.  Not to mention getting her in it.  I would suggest that you leave it as stock as possible.  Now that you have it driving right, don't mess with it.  However, that is just my opinion.  Your thoughts might be different.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

A stock full size blazer will go into some bad stuff with good tires. Been there also and don't regret it but stock now.

TripleJ

The very best money spent on off-road capability is on aggressive tires and locking differentials.  Anything after that has a very poor rate of return IMO.
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

ClydesdaleKevin

It already has a 4 inch lift, just a very poorly done one.  And already has 15x12 rims with BFGoodrich tires...but the front tires are worn unevenly because of how off the alignment was.  So I have to get 2 new tires regardless, and might go for the more aggressive tread pattern since we are often in very muddy areas at Renfaire campgrounds.  What I want the shop to do is fix the lift and make it right and safe and strong.  I want to keep it at a 4 inch lift with the 33s, but don't want to go any bigger.

Kev