73 Dodge engine number stamp location?

Started by Thenoob, September 27, 2014, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help

Anyone know where to find the engine stamp for your Winnie? I have a 73 d18, I thought a 318.

Switched yes yesterday and the ones I took out matched the 360 in napa database, the ones for the 318 were way to small.

Looks like the original engine, just very curious before I got about fixing a lot of parts, wanna know what a guy has!

DaveVA78Chieftain

for the M300 chassis used in 71-73 the 318-3 was standard with a 413-1 option
For the RM300 chassis used in 73-75 the 318-3 was standard with a 440-3 option

In both cases, the optional engine was not available for the 104" chassis.  Only 125" and longer.

360-3 first appeared as the base M300 engine in 76.

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

Since the Chrysler 318 LA series engines and the Chrysler 360 LA series engines are virtually a bolt in swap, it is entirely possible that a previous owner put a 360 engine in it.

A 360 engine is basically a bored and stroked 318, but it does use a totally different head with larger intake ports and different valves (1.88")
Should be able to find the blocks casting info and tell which engine you have.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Thenoob

Roger that
Very interesting, it really threw me off.  Nice to know they are basically bolt in switches.  I'm going to keep my eye out for one.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Engine ID is located in similar places on both 318 and 360

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

by the way... Never, ever attempt to use a passenger car/ light truck intake on a 318-3 engine! the result will be water pumping straight out the tailpipe, as the 318-3 uses a water coolant filled port in it's head that is a exhaust gas recirculation port on the passenger car/ light truck intakes. While much of the parts between the light duty 318-1 and 318-2, and the 360 engines will bolt on and interchange with a 318-3 engine... there are a few that will definately not. Be sure to do research before a swap.
Another example is that the 360 uses an external balance weight on the torque converter, and a different flywheel and harmonic balancer.. these parts only work on a 360 engine and cannot be used on a 318. The 318 torque converter, flywheel/flexplate, and harmonic balancer cannot be used on a 360 either.
The 318-3 also used a very unique high mount water pump in a lot of installations. It has to do with putting the center of the fan inline with the radiator in taller truck chassis. I do not know if they will interchange onto a 360 or not. These are just things that you have to research any time your considering a swap even though the 318 and 360 are in the same engine family..

Btw- you are aware that a light duty 318 listing for a 1/2 to 1 ton Dodge truck or passenger car is not the same engine as the 318-3 engine used in HD and industrial applications, and uses a totally different spark plug seat...

Read this:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5642.0
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...