Shaking at 65mph

Started by Thenoob, September 27, 2014, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hi guys

Just picked up my 318 dodge winny and there is a noticeable shake once you hit 60-65 mph.

Feels like the drivers side but hard to tell.  Wondering on where to start looking tomorrow am.

This thing has been sitting for awhile... I'll Inspect tires tomorrow , looking for where else to poke around

TerryH

Tires? balance? out of round rim? wheel bearing? loose lug/s? drive shaft? etc.
Not enough info.
Can you feel the shimmy thru the steering wheel?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

Start with the easiest on the list.

Carefully inspect the tires for any large chunk of tread missing or obvious bubbles or bulges.

Raise and loosen your wheels, remove the rear duals and ensure there isn't rust or anything else between the hub and inner wheel or between the wheels, and there's not a .  Same with front. 

While you have them off, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have each once checked for correct balance and trueness of the rims.

If this doesn't cure the problem, then start looking at the mechanical items.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Thenoob

Ya def can feel it thru the steering wheel
I'm going to jack the front up today and start poking
Around

pvoth1111

tires square from sitting
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

HandyDan

I have complained of the same thing since I bought my Holiday Rambler.  I've replaced the carrier bearings, u-joints, shocks, steering stabilizer, and rebalanced the tires.  The shaking at 65 is still there.  I am in the process of replacing the tires two at a time.  I recently replaced the front tires and had them balanced with CounterAct beads.  The front drives smooth as glass, but still have the shakes in the coach.  I'm going to try moving the tires to different positions and see if that helps.  Good luck with your coach.  Hope you have better luck.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Thenoob

Interesting
I'm hoping
It's just a balance thing, the shaking is on my side (drivers) I believe
It just shakes up front on mine

pvoth1111

bad shocks can make the tires jump up and down causing vibrations too......you'll figure it out  or just drive 55 like most of us ;)
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Thenoob

Yeah I'm going to take it slow going home for sure
Figured out how the power runs in the cab

Been an interesting day, learned A TON, looking fwd to learning a lot more.
Excited.