Gas Mileage: What's the deal with that

Started by Clyde9, November 09, 2008, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 3/15/2005 1:39 AM

Does anyone have any experence or thoughts regarding the "tornado" gizmo that inserts into the air cleaner that supposedly improves power and gas mileage? They are offered for sale in the Coast Distribution RV Parts catalog for most RVs for $65.00.
Thanks for any input.
TomT.

Sent: 3/15/2005 8:39 AM

I dont think the tornado add ins do anything to help mileage.  They just add a little turbulence to the air stream at very low engine speed but large throttle openings - like starting off from a traffic light.  The other 99% of the time there is plenty of air flow and turbulence below the carburetor to atomize the fuel mixture. 

Sent: 3/13/2006 7:40 AM

Yes, I recall watching the lengthy promo tv ads for the "tornado", claiming huge improvements in gas mileage and massive increases in horse power.  They did all these "independant" dyno tests to prove it, blah, blah, blah... the info-mercial was about a half hour long...

... OK, if this product really was that good, I think everyone would have one by now and the auto manufacturers would have jumped on it to make an integral part of their engines to increase sales by hyping the huge increase in horsepower of their engines and their incredible fuel savings....

... it's just that... hype.

As my father said so many times... "Don't belive everything you hear."

Sent: 3/13/2006 1:18 PM

I love to watch those infomercials.  They really are entertaining.  I think I heard that if you use enough of those Tornado's you will have to stop and drain some gas out of the tank every 1000 miles.  If one is good 10 would be better right????    Les

Sent: 3/14/2006 1:30 PM

Reminds me of the "Red Devil Portable Grill" we bought (for $150.00) that totally incinerated everything that was placed on it. It had two heat settings, Incinerate, and Cremate. I even fashioned a spacer to try and raise the grilling area up with out much help. I reported it to the Co. and they sent out a "replacement" burner and regulator.Claiming thier engineers had discovered a defect in the originals. Boy! That helped! First time I went to use it, I turned it on and went inside to get the meat while it warmed up. When I came back out less than 5 min. later, the whole grill had caught on fire (idiots used flammable paint), and I let it burn to the ground! I mailed the charred remains back to the Co. (Inside the "Free Simulated Black Leather Carrying Case") and told them I no longer wanted a "replacement". I wanted a refund! They never replied back, refused to accept registered mail, hung up when I called, and finally went bankrupt and closed down. I never got a penny back.

Beware what you see on T.V.!! If it was as good as they said, they wouldn't have to have a cheesy commercial to hawk it.

Sent: 3/15/2006 6:44 PM

The "Tornado" serves only one purpose...

Sent: 3/15/2006 6:45 PM

..  To rapidly seperate 65 buck  plus tax and shipping  from  you and your wallet.

Sent: 3/17/2006 5:40 AM

So... if I wash my Tornado in Oxy Clean and cook it in one of Ron Popiel's Rotisserie Cookers, I end up with a glob of Jack LaLanne's Juicer residue.... right? Then I can put it in one of Ron Popiel's Dehydrators and use it as a replacement leg for my Ab lounge.... Right?

That's what I thought....