Tribal Council meeting - Chief Crazy Canoe intro, I hear this is the big one!

Started by Chief Crazy Canoe, September 18, 2014, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Crazy Canoe

Tribal Council - yeah, I called it! Send the smoke signals - this is the big one.  Come on in - all are welcome.  Truth only in here - I can smell the B-S like yesterday's hunt! We've got a new one - yeah I said it...fresh right off the plains and into the mountains we go!  Grab a pipe - this is gonna take some time to go over - but here it is.  First post - newbie here....and this is the good stuff!

Two weeks ago - wife and I said road trip....fine but not in the Jeep and not in the VW - we need something retro - something real big - real awesome....and so the search begun.  Searched the Craig's and the RVTrader - and I found it!

I did it....Yeah - I did it....I jumped on a plane - got to the Winnebago state and threw down the not-so big bucks and came away with a 72' Chieftan.  She's brown(ish) with a little bit of more brownish colored brown.  She's got huge windows and an eyebrow that is just scowling - love the attitude already!  She'll come around - I guarantee you!

Brought her out of hiding in southern MN last week and drove her home - all the way to Denver - past Fort Sedgwick right back into my own back yard!  The army didn't even see us coming!  Snuck-in at night....2 am to be exact.  2-days travel at 58mph all the way - stopping only for fuel, fuel and some more fuel for me. Not many Conoco's or Sapp Bros were missed as we burnt tons of this Nation's finest refine all the way home.  Slept not all night, we did - we had a lonely and thankfully, a very successful and uneventful mission - a return home!

Was told she had a 440 - who was I to care - it started and smoked like she did!  Love it - at start-up, she smokes that gassy blue-like smoke....as if fresh air is going out of style! So, some carb work and fine-tuning is on the menu for this out of control beast of a vehicle!

Control - yeah that's an overstatment!  She loves to go - all 3 speeds - 58 mph all the way home without fail she ran....but stopping?  Yeah - she can't stop to save her life...or any of her occupant's lives!  It's like a game!  She taunts you all the way - stopping every now and again for a rest and then the one time she just wants to keep on...on...going!  Heck - I've got some work to do, she just laughs as Chief Crazy Canoe gives it all he's got - I swear I did - futile efforts until that last second she gives in, stops and laughs at you and asks if you enjoyed the ride....yeah this is gonna be fun!

SO - here it is - I wanna hear it from the Council.  What do I have here?  Some runaway crazy that just can't be tamed?  440 or 413 - heck I don't know.  It starts, smokes and runs - did I mention the smoke?  Yeah - no exhaust either - had to don on the earplugs -as there is no exhaust in this monster! 

I'll patiently await your comments - it's okay to be honest in here!  Honesty - that's what's expected, buffalo stuffing isn't - so leave it at the door.  Grab a pipe - load it up, and smoke away - that's the Chief's way.

Description:
-1972 Chieftan - born 2/72
-Model: D24-C
-V8 with a 3 on the dash and a parking brake on the driveshaft - no, it's not a Vintage Land Cruiser - that was in another life of mine!
5-lug, 2 piece wheels - 17's to be exact - running 17x7.5 with tubes  - may need to change those out - they're 19 years old!
Vacuum option in the rear! - yeah it's got the goods to clean up after playin in the woods!
Two Gigantic HydroVac boosters mounted mid-ship - port side to be exact - for all those canoe paddlers out there! Tons of brake fluid in the master - Alretta?? - yeah I called, called & heard it all - told she's got a bad behavior in need of some training.
Chassis - I have no idea.  Tons of documentation - none tells the tale - truthfully.

So, you've heard it from the Chief - what do I have here - you can tell it to me straight!  I've been doing some research - not sure if I trust the source - so I hope I've come to the right camp. 

Paint your face, grab yer bows & don the arrows - it's gonna be an amazing adventure!

Mytdawg

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

I can't answer any of your questions.  But I like your style...   :)ThmbUp

Oz

Use the Dodge VIN decoder.  It will tell you what engine you have etc.

Blue smoke is usually oil burning.  That's a separate question to be asked on a new topic.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

acenjason

I also have my Winny in Colo.  Sounds like a nice RV:) Your a very lucky person to have her.  :)

JessEm

I can't believe you made it back, but I'm glad you did.  :)ThmbUp How long was she in hiding?

I hope you got a good deal. You went through a lot of trouble for it. Or maybe your reservation's currency goes further here?  Hm?

I've been thinking about taking a trip to Colorado (from MN) with my Chieftain. This gives me hope.  :D

Lefty

Hello and Welcome!

Gotta say, your intro ranks right up there with the most "unique" I've read here in the last 10+yrs... lol

About your questions:
VIN Decoding will tell you.     
17" split rims are something that's been discussed here many times... use the "search" function.
19yr old tires?? Yikes!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

joev

welcome to the council where's the pics  pictures are worth a 1000 words

LJ-TJ

Sit down, strap in and hang on boys we got a live one here. Welcome aboard. I wait with baited breath in panting anticipation of your next great adventure. WHERE'S THE PICTURES?? :)ThmbUp

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

HandyDan

Being crazy helps to justify owning one of these beasts.  Welcome to the club.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

sasktrini

Awesome intro!!!  Dare I say that you will have some pretty cool personalizations when you make yourself at home with it!
Corey aka sasktrini

pvoth1111

Me thinks he likes coffee a lot, or he is just super excited about his new Winnie. Either way my hats off to em.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote5-lug, 2 piece wheels - 17's to be exact - running 17x7.5 with tubes  - may need to change those out - they're 19 years old!
Two Gigantic HydroVac boosters mounted mid-ship - port side to be exact

Find your Dodge VIN plate and confirm.

http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/M375Late.html

http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/DodgeRBrake.html

Aftermarket parts change so always double check things.  Best approach for chassis parts is locate the original Dodge P/N then x-ref at the aftermarket parts site.

Buy the 69-75 3 volume service manual pack in our site store: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;cat=42

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

M & J

Chief Crazy Canoe

Well - I guess I came to the right camp, indeed!  Glad to be here & thanks for the warm welcome!  Sorry for the delayed reply - been at work a lot and unfortunately, I can't play on the forum and work at a hospital at the same time.  I'm sure you all understand the dilemma!

You can tell I'm excited about this build - did he say 'build'??!  Would I be crazy enough to ask if anyone has ever popped the MH body off their chassis - restored the chassis and then dropped the body back on it?  Yeah - I'm definitely that crazy.  Would i do it??  Probably so, stay tuned in

I like the group already - think I'm wild-eyed enough and I'll fit right in. 

Pictures....I'll post up a few at the bottom.

I looked up the chassis info with the VIN lookup - thank you for that hint!  I took it as a hint - and you all are correct.  Interesting thing about the M400 & M375 - guess a ton of parts interchange on these rigs - various years and suppliers back in the 70's - can't imagine their 'supply chain' or how they even sourced all the necessary parts to build these chassis(s).

Found out - our chassis was built in Canada - that pretty much blew my mind!  Had no clue that Dodge/Mopar had Canadian factories in the 70's.

Definitely a 413-1  - that's an amazing amount of data compiled - I'm in debt to the creator and contributors!  Amazing work you all!
The V8 is going to need a re-seal all around.  She's leaking oil & thats a good thing - let's me know she's got fluids.  The way I figure it - when it stops leaving drops at a 15 minute gas station stop,  it's time to fill 'er back up!  I'll degrease the old girl and give the 1-2 punch next time I get to the car wash.  Got 4 decades of filth under her - she'll clean up well I'm sure!

Tires....yeah - they're older Michelins "XCA"if I remember correctly. They're an 8ply steel radial -  Not weather-checked so bad that you can see the ribs - just some signs of curb-checking.  They were definitely covered that entire time - as there is a ton of tread left.  I still don't trust 'em, fully - because of their age.  Well....I did trust 'em enough to drive 1100 miles home - made sure the fronts were at 60 and the rears at 55psi.  No sense whatsoever to run a tire at their full max rated psi.  There is no way they could handle it and the abuse the I-90 tarmac gave 'em on the way home at that pressure.  I've been looking for the 7.50x17 tire from Michelin - found 'em at Les Schwab locally.  3-5 weeks away due to backorder....and priced to the tune of $400 ea liners and tubes not included.  Ridiculous for a 8-ply, 32" tire.  I'm going to be hunting for their replacement - I'm thinking a 235/80/17 E-Rated 10-ply would fit - just need to get the right width for these wheels.

Plans - well...that's where it all began - and I'll end with that here, this evening.  I plan to keep her - she's a part of the family.  Very much like our crazy dog, Carl.  Ya love 'em and you know you'll probably never get rid of 'em - but there are just 'some days'.....I guess when needs must - ya know?

I've restored a ton of stuff.  Not Concourse restos of any scale - but definitely tastefully done resto-modified vehicles.  Vintage Toyota Land Cruisers have alway been my love and passion - and have kept me in the doghouse many nights because I was busted working on them too late.  My wife understands - heck she knew it was gonna happen again - I'd find something amazing and want to restore it - but this vehicle doesn't need any restoration - just some tender love.

Talking about 'poppin the top' off the chassis - well, that's just the way I think about these projects.  Why just pull the drivetrain out - and leave all the rusty stuff behind it untouched?  I can't do things that way - I refuse to!  I'm of the mindset of:  If I touch a bolt or a part on something - it better be replaced better than when I first removed it.  Eventually - if you keep with that rationale - and you have enough ambition to touch every nut, bolt, screw, wire - you get the picture.  It's gonna look more amazing every time you walk away from it to wash your hands.  The only reason to pop the top is to get fast access - to everything underneath and just knock it out.  Why be stuck on your back - wrenching above you when you can get the biggest obstruction out of the way - the body!  Any thoughts??

Since she doesn't have an exhaust - aside from the 4-1 headers that rub on the spring hanger - those have got to go now!  I found a set of block-hugger headers with a center -dump and placed my order for 'em.  Should be here in a week.  That way - I'm working with new stuff - from the front to the back.

Next-up is - safety.  I've got to be able to stop this monster - under any condition day or night - without fail - so that is job 1 - or two depending on what route I go.

I'm going to pull the wheels - jack it up and block it first - and then inspect the drums / cylinders and pull bearings and see what I'm working with from a standpoint of status.  That way - I'm only ordering one gigantic pallet of parts from Alretta.  I've been told that's the place to go - and they've got every part under the sun for this rig.  I'm going to search this forum from top to bottom for details - hints and I'm sure I'll find advice from all sorts of amazing people who have thought this same thing about their Winnebago - as I did when I first saw it!   "That is going to be amazing - our family will love it - and memories both good and bad  - more good than bad I'm sure - will be born from this".  Our kids are young - and now is the time to really enjoy time stuck in a Winnebago - traveling the continent - not just the USA in style.  Slow and let's go!

Have a good day everyone - I've gotta go hunt down an impact wrench and get greasy!

sasktrini

Corey aka sasktrini

Chief Crazy Canoe

Here's the specs and a sneak peek on the tires I'm considering:

Tread Depth: 16/32”          - in line with what is on my rig now
Meas. Rim Width: 6.5”        - probably a good fit with the split wheel
Tread Width: 7”                 - definitely okay - don't need to be mudders
Rim Width Range: 6-7.5”   - I'm sure the split Budd wheels are in this range
Max Load: 3,085 lbs          - 1000 lbs better than the Michelin XCA's!
Outer Diameter: 32”          - mine measure 31.5 - this is pretty decent comparison
Max PSI: 80 psi                 - no need to be at max psi - but nice to have room to move
Section Width: 9.3”           - may be too wide for the dually rears - I'll have to measure what I have now

Any thoughts??

legomybago

Yeah, How much money is this tire? And where did you find it? I couldnt find a radial tire to replace my discontinued Michelin XCA's....Mine are also 7.50x17. I had to buy all new bias ply's...

I searched the high road, and the low road......

Chief Crazy Canoe

Quote from: legomybago on September 24, 2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah, How much money is this tire? And where did you find it? I couldnt find a radial tire to replace my discontinued Michelin XCA's....Mine are also 7.50x17. I had to buy all new bias ply's...

I searched the high road, and the low road......

Lego- What tire brand are the units you bought & where'd ya source 'em from?

Since the Les Schwab guy was befuddled about the Michelin's - and then found the XCAs discontinued but they could mold 'em for me (5 weeks out) - I told him "Just find me a matched-size tire - ya know?  It just needs to measure similar to the ones I have on the Winnie now".  They quoted me 175 ea plus 40 for the boot and inner tube - but he wasn't sure about the inner tube compatibility.

So we compared 'em in his computer for height (31.5) and with the thin tread pattern - came up with a 235/80/17.  Almost every tire brand makes that size in an LT tire....question is - where do I get Radial-compatible inter tubes from - that's my new dilemma.

legomybago

You can buy tubes off of ebay...You can use the same tube between Bias and radial..

I went to Shwabbys and other tire stores...No avail.

Found 7.50x17 at Coker Tire, but only in Bias. Purchased mine through Summit Racing. I got 6 tires for around 800$ I think...cant remember.

Chief Crazy Canoe

Lego-

That's a good deal, it sounds like to me.  I'm not totally opposed to Bias Ply tires - and Coker make good stuff.  They've been around a while! 

The inner tubes I'm finding on eBay are for everything besides that 235/80/17 tire size.  Like literally - none of them have that specific size listed in their applications - but some very similar in size - like 235/65/17  - that's not too far off!
This one seems good - as it's for the 7.50R17 - which we have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-50-17-7-50R17-7-00-18-7-50-18-Vintage-Truck-Tire-Inner-Tube-/380544742373?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589a3bf3e5&vxp=mtr

It has the long stem which is mandatory for our use.  I'm surprised that the inner tubes have such varied sizes that they 'fit' - looks like a one-size fits many kinda deal.

legomybago

I did the math...I spent 980.00 for my tires W% with free shipping. I had one tire that was 6 months old, the rest were within a couple three months. I was happy. I have no beef with Bias either...other than the flat spot when you first take off! Carry a spare tire

I still need to buy tubes and new liners, I am going to buy the one's you just posted off ebay I imagine, they are always posted there for sale. Tubes are somewhat universal in size to a certain extent I believe...

If you get a set of radials for close to thousand bucks...I'll be bummed. To late for me :( Im rolling vintage all the way ???

Chief Crazy Canoe

I think the vintage route is just fine - its definitely cool and the flat spot goes away after a few minutes of slow rolling.  Just part of the fun of it :)  I know it'll be well over 1k for the set of 8 (mounted spare included and an extra tire/tube and liner in reserve)

Where do you plan on buying the liners from?  I'm assuming mine are fine - as I'm told they're relatively reusable - but the second I take 'em off and have a torn or questionable one...and not have an extra - I'm gonna be toast! 

Always carry a spare...spare everything!  I come from a 4x4 world where ya carry extra parts - instead of passengers :)

M & J

M & J