Neat Classic Bago Items I Picked Up... Any info out there?

Started by JessEm, September 17, 2014, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

I just picked these up from a retired school teacher/ part-time ebay seller. He recently acquired them from the estate of a Missouri man who passed at 87. One is a Sterling Silver pin. The other a 10k pendent. They're very detailed.

They're really cool and it would be neat to know the background. Has anyone seen them before? I'm thinking the guy may have had some connection to Winnebago. Or maybe he was just a REALLY big fan, and had them commissioned? Or, maybe they were prototypes for a future line of Winnebago jewelry? Anything is possible I suppose. Would be interesting to know the story, even it turns out to be something not-so interesting.

The backs bear the hallmark of a company named L.G.Balfour. Started in 1913, they're still around today. They specialize in jewelry and awards for schools, military, etc. Basically a Jostens, if anyone is familiar with them... I'm thinking about sending them an email.

So let me know what you think. I told my wife it's RV bling. She thinks they're neat too.

Lefty

Likely commissioned by WIT (Winnebago International Travellers) as a award of some type. Or possibly was available thru Winnebago dealers as a promotional item.

I've seen them before, they are not exactly what you'd call rare.. but they are a nice addition to any Winnebago Enthusiasts collection.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

LJ-TJ

JessEm

Thanks fellas! The 3 guys on this forum who I knew would know awesomeness when they see it!  :) Lefty, the WIT thing makes a lot of sense. .. I think I'll try emailing the company who made them and see if someone there knows anything...

Here's what the pin looks like on my cap  :)ThmbUp :) :) :) :) :)

Lefty

JessEm

Lefty, The caps are new this year. I got mine from a local dealer but I'm sure eBay has them.

Mytdawg

:)ThmbUp Sweet!  I love eBay.  And doodads.   :)clap I just picked up some can "koozy" thingies.  Not sure how long they'll hold up, they're pretty snug.   None of that newfangled neoprene.  And I got no idea what the little strap thing is for.  I'm stumped.  The snaps are too hard to operate to be convenient "holders", you mess with them you shake up the beer!  I'm gonna break them in this weekend if the old girl can get me a couple hundred miles.  At this point my success is 50/50 so one way or the other I'm changing the odds...

Oz

LOL!  If you love Winnie collectibles, look in the club store.  Mint condition Winnebago watch, belt buckles, and other "doodads".

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

acenjason

TerryH

Strap thing is possibly for your belt.
Also like the cap. :)ThmbUp
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

JessEm

Thanks again for the props on the cap. I just checked ebay and there's one seller in Iowa selling them. He also has another very cool cap in Miami Dolphins colors I haven't seen before.

Those straps are baffling. Your beer would spill if it's on your belt... My theory is they can actually double as cup holders in your Bago... All I know is, Chief Canoe would envy your ability to pack four cold ones Rambo style down the war path.  :)ThmbUp

Here's another neat item on eBay. It started Sunday and I thought about bidding until I learned "Journey" is model specific, and not mine... but I was still watching because it had a bid right off the bat. I was curious if a mini bidding war would ensue at the end, and then the seller pulled it! Someone most likely back doored an offer and the seller accepted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winnebago-Journey-Key-Chain-Engine-Starting-with-Horn-Blowing-Cool-/271604311030?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3ce0e3f6&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=yo2m17uSbcTFby2QXcex%252FPQ46T4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4-Paws

I can tell you about the pins in your photo. These were given out to people who took the factory tour back in the 70's and then sold by the dealers and Winnie's "Customer Service" store in Forest City. There were 2 different versions of the pin which both came in a little black or blue box with a clear plastic cover. The one with the ring on top was for a ladies charm bracelet and the other was either a pinback or could be used as a tie tack with the included button fastener and chain. The ladies charm is harder to find but there still are some around. I got my pin/tie tack whee I took a factory tour in 1972. These are not employee service pins, they are completely different.

JessEm

Outstanding, 4-Paws. Thank you for sharing that. That's the kind of stuff that makes the internet a better place.

You could already retire from posting and still be an all-star.

Lefty