Cost and source for Steering Gear Box on M-500

Started by AllanCZ, November 26, 2008, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanCZ

Sent: 6/6/2005 8:14 PM

Hello all,

I'm having the "Wandering Winnie" blues myself... I'm wondering, worst-case, if I need to replace the steering gear box, how much does one cost, and where is the best place to find one?

Thanks,
Allan

Sent: 6/6/2005 10:38 PM

i use Steer&Gear in Columbus, Ohio. phone # 800-253-4327. That's all they've been doing for over 25 years.

Sent: 6/7/2005 1:17 PM

You would need to find someone who handled Saginaw power steering boxes, I think it is a model 725. I would guess it would be at least $600, not including installation. A rebuilt one I would expect to be half the cost of a new one, not including the R/R labor.
It would be easier to adjust yours. Contrary to what the service manual says, it can be done on the vehicle. Sobyak did the adjustment on his in about 15 minutes. I'm a slow worker, it took me about 30 minutes the first time, and perhaps 10 minutes on the 2 subsequent occasions that I have done it; I resnug mine about each 10k or 20k miles. I once had to replace the seal on the top shaft, the one that connects to the steering column. I had to drop it down to be able to do it, and lever it back up into place. It wasn't all that hard to do. The seal cost about $12, and it stopped my power steering fluid leak.
With that adjustment, combined with correcting the toe-in adjustment and regular lube of my kingpins (every 1000 to 2000 miles), and Winny steers as easily as any car.
I could email you my description of how to do it, if you wanted - and sent me your email address.

Sent: 6/8/2005 7:59 AM

Allan,
If your box is bad, I think I'd look for an M500 in a junkyard to get the steering box from... These steering boxes don't usually go bad....

Tom

Chief Crazy Canoe

Denison -

Do you still have your notes on your seal replacement process?

Mine is leaking like a sieve out of the top - just curious as to how you did it without completely removing the unit - one thing I'd rather not do!

Thanks!

CCC

Oz

Denison has retired and is no longer active with his RV.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Brownfamily

I found a place that quoted me $150 for adjustment and seals, etc... I have to remove, ship, etc. I am now VERY interested in knowing how to obtain and replace the top seal myself. I did do the self adjustment but haven't driven it out on the road yet only moved it on my property. Feels nice and tight though but yes my top seal is a leaker. 

Looking forward to the wonder cure experience when I go out.
Jon

1973 Winnebago Indian D-24 M400 Chassis