ignition going bad?

Started by mnoyes, September 15, 2014, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnoyes

on two seperete occasions i had trouble starting MH,  first time messed with distr&rotor and got it to start, thought the problem was over ran fine for three starts. then i tried to start this am with no luck, no spark. So in trying to figure out why i have no spark i discovered that i only got spark when i was letting off the key, full turn on the key no spark, as im letting the key back it sends one spark so the motor only has one chance to fire everytime i turn the key. does this mean its time to replace the key switch inside the column.

brians1969

ballast resistor. Common Dodge problem.

liquidwrench63

allways keep a spare just in case!!!

mnoyes

I went and bought a new resistor,  no luck still only gets a spark when you  let go of the key

LJ-TJ

I know this is going to sound goofy but I had a similar situation and it was the coil. Go figure. It was a brand new coil. When I tried to start the bago it would start just fine. When I would let off the key she would quite. I was on the road and screwed. So I started the bago but rather than let off the key I would let is come back slowly and it would keep running until it passed the magic spot. So I started the bago and drove home on the ignition switch. She finally gave up the ghost a couple miles from home so I hitch hiked home. I had a spare coil so I took it back and put it in. The darn thing started right up and ran fine the rest of the way home. I put a new coil in the next day and haven't had a problem since. Don't know how or why but it might be worth a try.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

76minnie

Great info from Dave. It could be anything. Better to test then just replace parts I suppose. I recently just replaced every piece of my ignition. Same symptoms as yours. It ended up being the starter. I was cool with it though. At least now I have a completely new ignition and all good back up parts when I'm on the road. Great peace of mind

Rickf1985

Could be several things and the resister would have been my first choice. Second choice based on experience would be the ignition module. Be sure to check that in your testing.

legomybago

You get the exact same symtoms when your electronic pick up coil goes south inside the distributor. Seen it multiple times with GM, Volkswagon, and Dodges.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

mnoyes

well put on new cap& rotor, coil, ballast resistor and still had the same problem. so i took a day off from messing with it to do a lot more homework on trouble shooting this prob. went out to day to show the father-in-law what i was dealing with and guess what happened?   worked just fine, each and everytime we tryed it started right up.    i have a feeling it is in the key switch somehow, just one of those feelings. but now i have to t.s. with everything working...or do i just keep my fingers crossed and deal with it later(probably get bit in the backside for it) when/if it happens again.

legomybago

Wiggle the ignition key around and all over and you should be able to get it to fail if thats the problem...

If you still can not find an obvious problem, you need to pick up one of these and throw it in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-PICKUP-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-318-360-400-440-1972-1973-1974-1975-1980-/331284439563?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2217620b#ht_6387wt_664

Oz

Quote from: legomybago on September 17, 2014, 06:08 PM
Wiggle the ignition key around and all over and you should be able to get it to fail if thats the problem...

Of course, you should put the key in the ignition before doing this.  Otherwise, people might think you're a little goofy just wiggling a key all over...

BanDan
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

:)rotflmao If you are a public key wiggler there is professional help available.
Just Google " I am a public wiggler of keys".
Lots of support. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

acenjason

Also, you might check the multi pin plug where the steering column electronics connect to the chassis. Mine failed and did all kinds of bad ignition things. Including catching on fire in the end. Ya might check it.  :(

legomybago

Of course, you should put the key in the ignition before doing this.  Otherwise, people might think you're a little goofy just wiggling a key

:)rotflmao If you are a public key wiggler there is professional help available.
Just Google " I am a public wiggler of keys".
Lots of support. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Maybe thats why my neighbors think Im weird? Has nothing to do with the weird looking vintage RV i have in the driveway....