My Journey to bring a Vintage RV back from the DEAD!

Started by NottooldNottoyoung, September 12, 2014, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NottooldNottoyoung

I am on the hunt to find the perfect RV for me. I will view many, but only one will come home with me....

Today I got the chance to check out a 1973 Winnebago Brave. onto the Pictures......

The Winnebago started right up. It had a few roof leaks. Out dated, but had potential!

I have a few more RV's on my schedule to view!

sasktrini

If you have time and patience, that one could clean up nice!  Did the generator run?
Corey aka sasktrini

LJ-TJ

So the bottom line is how much to you have to spend. Total. How much can you spend to buy and then how much extra do you have to spend to get it up and running. There's a lot of nice rigs out there.

Lefty

I agree with TJ, be sure to compare several before committing to one.

For example, there's one posted on the Classic Winnebago Group page on Facebook this morning for $1,200 that is in much better condition than the one you pictured.
Be sure to read LJ-TJ's list of Winnebago's for sale in the For Sale section here also... it's updated very regularly. I've seen some really good deals lately.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: sasktrini on September 13, 2014, 02:36 AM
If you have time and patience, that one could clean up nice!  Did the generator run?

Time and Patience is what I have!

The generator fired up, after I ran through it.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: LJ-TJ on September 13, 2014, 07:22 AM
So the bottom line is how much to you have to spend. Total. How much can you spend to buy and then how much extra do you have to spend to get it up and running. There's a lot of nice rigs out there.

I have a good budget. The 73' Winnebago started up and ran.

I have 69' Winnebago lined up for next weekend. Also a 70's Dodge I am trying to schedule.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: Lefty on September 13, 2014, 12:07 PM
I agree with TJ, be sure to compare several before committing to one.

For example, there's one posted on the Classic Winnebago Group page on Facebook this morning for $1,200 that is in much better condition than the one you pictured.
Be sure to read LJ-TJ's list of Winnebago's for sale in the For Sale section here also... it's updated very regularly. I've seen some really good deals lately.

I am on it! Thank you

NottooldNottoyoung

After a few hours of searching. I found this sexy beast!
http://www.spreadmyad.com/fayar/vehicles/rvs/40386187-71-winnebago-huntsville-x0024-1000#.VBSxkvldVWY

I have reached out to the owner through the website. I hope to hear something back. If anyone knows the owner, could you please reach out to them. Thank you.

brians1969

when you click on the text it takes you back to the original craigslist ad...and craigslist says the ad has been deleted.

LJ-TJ

Run! So here's my criteria. LJ and I wanted something we could wheel around in down town New York, Chicago or any were for that matter. Now remember there's just the two of us. So it had to fit into a regular parking spot. I had a 1979 Lincoln Continental that was 22 feet long.....Our motorhome is only 21 feet long so it will fit in a regular parking spot. It's got a 440 in it so it breezes along the interstate like a dream and can pull a car or reasonable trailer (car/house) it burns on average 8 mile per gallon so we figure on a buck a mile. We got it out of Kansas for $1000.00 dollars and drove it the 1,298 miles from Sublette  KS to Ontario Canada trouble free. If you have to buy tires for the new rig you just bought your looking at another $1000.00. Who knows what mechanical  problems you'll run into and that's before you start on modifying the interior. So maybe your good deal wasn't such a good deal after all. We appreciate your enthusiasm but don't let that exceed your pocket book. Nothing will quash the wife's enthusiasm quicker than if things keep breaking or don't work. Take your time look carefully and by all mean print a copy of our what to look for when buying an RV check list.   

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: brians1969 on September 13, 2014, 05:56 PM
when you click on the text it takes you back to the original craigslist ad...and craigslist says the ad has been deleted.

That is strange. It should go to hwww.spreadmyad.com.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: LJ-TJ on September 13, 2014, 07:39 PM
Run! So here's my criteria. LJ and I wanted something we could wheel around in down town New York, Chicago or any were for that matter. Now remember there's just the two of us. So it had to fit into a regular parking spot. I had a 1979 Lincoln Continental that was 22 feet long.....Our motorhome is only 21 feet long so it will fit in a regular parking spot. It's got a 440 in it so it breezes along the interstate like a dream and can pull a car or reasonable trailer (car/house) it burns on average 8 mile per gallon so we figure on a buck a mile. We got it out of Kansas for $1000.00 dollars and drove it the 1,298 miles from Sublette  KS to Ontario Canada trouble free. If you have to buy tires for the new rig you just bought your looking at another $1000.00. Who knows what mechanical  problems you'll run into and that's before you start on modifying the interior. So maybe your good deal wasn't such a good deal after all. We appreciate your enthusiasm but don't let that exceed your pocket book. Nothing will quash the wife's enthusiasm quicker than if things keep breaking or don't work. Take your time look carefully and by all mean print a copy of our what to look for when buying an RV check list.

79 Lincoln.....Beautiful car!

A vintage RV that looks great compared to one that's not great looking. You never know what issues will occur! It is a gamble either way!

"Nothing will quash the wife's enthusiasm quicker than if things keep breaking or don't work" Thank goodness I don't have one of those! lol

RV check list! CHECK!!

TerryH

"Nothing will quash the wife's enthusiasm quicker than if things keep breaking or don't work" Thank goodness I don't have one of those! lol

Don't have? wives? Personally I tried twice and it "made me highly irregular".( Compliments to Jimmy Buffett.)
Don't have? enthusiasm? It wanes with age.
Things keep breaking? Welcome to RV'ing.
Or don't work? Welcome to RV'ing.

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

NottooldNottoyoung

Oz

Oh heck, I didn't even notice it until after I read the whole thing.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

eXodus

M & J

M & J

eXodus

It's just around the block, if anyone is interested I could drive by and look at it in daylight.

NottooldNottoyoung

Quote from: eXodus on November 02, 2014, 04:44 PM
Hey how old are you searching ? really vintage or just Winnebago ?

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/rvs/4721935647.html

I am in the market for 60's-70's vintage. I am really hoping for a Winnebago. Something about them!

eXodus

DaveVA78Chieftain

70's era GMC's are not unique but are normally pricey (higher than those ads).  Look carefully at those.  Lots of info on the net about the GMCs.

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

Those GMC's could be a really good deal, or might have major issues that are expensive to fix, explaining the low prices...
I am very cautious about Craigslist ads. These were posted under "For sale by Dealer", but the seller chose to only accept contact by email in both posts using craigslists built in anonymous email system. This is a Red Flag for me right off. What Dealer do you know that does not take the opportunity to advertise their business in an ad, by posting their business name, phone number, address, etc... along with 10" flashing neon letters saying "COME ON DOWN!!"??
A very common scam on Craigslist, is to find a vehicle that is posted for sale in another state or town, then copy the ad as your own sale.. with a much lower price. Usually, it will be a price that's nearly too good to be true... They often try to complete the sale with either PayPal, or Western Union, with some excuse as to why they can't meet in person being that they are out of town or travelling out of the country. Either way, once you pay them, they are long gone and your skewered.

The bottom line is, if you cannot physically go see the RV in person, or they request some form of payment involving non-protected payment methods (Western Union, PayPal,etc...) instead of a Certified Check... Run.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

NottooldNottoyoung

I am considering looking at this one.....

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/rvs/4730295757.html

I have a mechanic friend that will come with me. We will pack up some goodies and fresh fluids just in case!! 

M & J

Looks like scam for sure. Top listing has an Adobe style home in the background. Arizona or New Mexico maybe, not Ft. Myers.
M & J

legomybago

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/rvs/4730295757.html

I love it when people post for sale adds of their rigs and leave the "tow" rope on in the pics ???

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy