318 tune up?

Started by Thenoob, September 08, 2014, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

I got one full day on my dodge 318 to do a quick tune up then off for a big road trip over the Rockies..
First time on this engine
Plans are:
New plugs/wires
Air filter
Fuel filter
Oil change/filter
Pcv valve
Check all fluids

Other then the Usual tire checks etc before trips

Anything else to really get into that these dodges are prone to?

Thanks

DonD

My last 318 was fond of thermostats. Check the T housing for corrosion while you're there.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Thenoob

Cap
And rotor

Forgot those yes.

Thenoob

K cool

T-housing gotcha.

Best bet is to buy this dodge motorhome chassis manual on here ya?

legomybago

Carry an extra fuel pump. My old 318 didnt like them? Usually found out when I tried to fire the rig up to go home.....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

sasktrini

Pick up a replacement ballast resistor... always good to have a spare anyway.  When they fail, the ignition coil only gets current in start, but cuts out when it goes to run.  It could fail if it's age is unknown.  Replacement ignition module (if electronic distributor) or points (if not) might be good spares to carry as well.  However, the P.O. may already have spares of these.
Corey aka sasktrini

Oz

Quote from: Thenoob on September 08, 2014, 12:48 PM

Best bet is to buy this dodge motorhome chassis manual on here ya?

Would you really want to try to work on your RV (or any vehicle for that matter) without a manual?   ;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Thenoob

Lol
I've worked on Plenty of motors without manuals lol

Love to jump in and figure shoot out but always nice to have some sort of reference

Oz

lol  Good for you... good for you.  For the other 99% of us, it's more than "nice" to have a manual, it's a critical tool in order to figure it out AND get it right.  lol
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Thenoob

Well gentlemen
Flew to calgary on Friday, spent all day fri and sat working on her, and left Sunday morning and arrived here in Vancouver this evening.

She drove like a champ, very smooth and cruised
Over the Rocky Mountains.  I am really looking fwd to learning a lot about this rig, and slowly fixing her up.  Really fun driving it, steering all fun and loose haha.

Oh what a gem she is!!