What happens if I plug the EGR ?

Started by winime, September 01, 2014, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winime

Is there any way my EGR valve could cause vapor lock ? :-[

circleD

If you have fuel injection then there could be an issue unless you block/delete it correctly. Do you have to pass emissions? If so then you have to get around that. If you have a carbed motor then unhook it all and plug the outlets. Use the search box at the top because that's always a hot subject and plenty of posts about it. There should also be info about vapor lock related to the EGR also.

cncsparky

Your '87 model should have the in-tank electric pump.  I'd start there for a vapor lock issue.  Search here on this site for info on dropping the tank.  There is a piece of rubber hose in the tank, connecting the pump, that often fails.  You could put a fuel pressure gauge anywhere before the mechanical fuel pump on the engine to see if you get pressure before digging too deep. 

Many of us have plugged the egr.  You can build a block off plate or buy one.  It can cause the engine to run rough if stuck open.  Not recommended if you have to pass emissions tests.
-Tom

Old Toolmaker

"Is there any way my EGR valve could cause vapor lock ?"

Ummmm, No.

The EGR system is there to reduce the temperature inside the cylinder.  If I were to remove the emission control systems because I couldn't keep them working properly, the EGR is the last thing I'd remove.

That being said, for all practical purposes, nothing much happens when you remove the EGR.

If you suspect vapor lock, install a fuel pressure gauge you can read while driving.  If the pressure begins to fluctuate than you've got vapor lock.  If the fuel pressure drops you have a weak fuel pump.

gpw9552

Do you have duel tanks?

If you experience vapor lock on the AUX tank, Winnebago say's to switch to the main which has the electric pump.

Oz

Vapor lock is a different issue and there's existing topics on that.  Good info available, just use the message search.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca