wide tire replacement of duals?

Started by acenjason, August 30, 2014, 10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

I am a retired truck driver and back when I was driving some of my friends had an unusual set up on their long haul rigs. They had replaced their duals with very wide single tires. All I remember about them was they looked cool but weren't even close to cost effective. I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried the heavy duty wide tires on the rear of a Winny? It might be hard to find some in 17.5 but boy would they look sharp.......

circleD

There are a FEW fire trucks with those. They're called Super Singles and when they blow out the damage is pretty bad. At least with a dual set up you have 1 tire to hold you up till you can pull off. One of those Super Singles blew on a ladder truck and ripped all the compartments off of that side then hitting another car. So yes they look cool but not effective for a traveling RV.

GONMAD

I agree More IS better & a lot safer also. Not to mention having to carry TWO type of spares. Also have you ever tried to jack one of these rigs off the ground when totally flat? I invented about a dozen NEW cuss words when I had to bring one off the ground once.    GONMAD

JessEm

I would love to see how those wide tires look!

acenjason

legomybago

I think you could run them just fine on an rv. When the super singles started getting popular for drive tires on big rigs, they were supposed to be the bomb, run cooler down the road (which they do), but from some of my trucker friends' opinions, they tend to wear out the center tread really early, and some of the manufacturer's are pro-rating the premature failure of the tire. We don't run enough weight (my opinion) to worry about that. Plus the tire will out-date before you burn the tread off running them on an rv!!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

You can forget about a spare (they are super heavy) Weigh more than 2 singles with wheels all in 1 piece And you will need a service policy to have any work done (flat etc) Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.