Hub Centric to Lug Centric rims?

Started by Reid, December 03, 2013, 01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reid

Howdy,

Is it possible to run Hub Centric Rims on a Lug Centric dual Axel?  I have a 73 Brave.  Really tired of the 17.5 rims, can never find tires.  I found some Ford 16" Rims but I am sure they are Hub Centric Rims off a later Ford.   I gave the Salvage Guy $50 to hold them for me.   don't want to pay the other $300 if they won't work on my axel.  Thanks

Reid
Tucson, AZ

rustyzman

It is possible to mount hub centric wheels on a stud centered hub.  I believe the ford center hole is big enough for the axle hub.  Chevy is not.  Newer ford is metric and will not fit, 2000's era I believe. 
That being said, it is not the correct setup for the vehicle.  If you search Dodge forums for this subject you will find many truck owners have done it.  My issue is that we have much larger and heavier vehicles than they do with greater stresses placed on the studs without the coining found on the stud centered rims. 
I replaced my 16.5s on my 73 class C this year with new 16" steel wheels for about $90 each off ebay.  My Dodge B300 chassis has a spicer 60 axle in the rear that uses Hollander Interchange part number 1176 coined dually wheels in 16".  If you have the same axle, they should fit your's too.  These wheels are found on 1979 to 1993 Dodge 1 ton trucks.  Call Keystone Wheel or other wheel suppliers and see if they can get them.  You may just find them new or reman. for close to the same price as the junkyard.  They do exist out there. 
The correct coined wheel was important to me for safety.  Just my opinion. 

Reid

Thanks Just read your Post.  I'm running the 16"s 1176 now and all is fine.
Reid

rustyzman

Excellent, they have been good piece of mind for me.  I hope they serve you well too.