51 Days Later

Started by JessEm, August 29, 2014, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

This is just a recap of the improvements I've made to my Chieftain during the 51 days since I bought it. I did not touch anything for the first 7 days due to uncertainty with the title so, in actuality, it's really 44 days.

First, I will just say that prior to this, I was new to RVs and really had no idea what I was getting into. I thought I did, but now I see I really didn't... And to be honest, if someone had handed me this list before I bought it and said this is the work that needs to be done, I would've walked away and not looked back. But now that it's done it's all water under the bridge and I feel like I've made good progress in somewhat short time. Although, in some ways it feels like a lot longer.

I paid $2400, and now have a total of $5002 invested. That doesn't include my time and labor... Nor does it include a lot of the odds & ends and other supplies that I already had and did not need to buy, such as wire connectors, fasteners, etc. The nickel and dime stuff that adds up fast... Even the TV was just collecting dust in a closet, and the deep cycle battery was free from a client friend who accidently purchased an extra for his Airstream this spring... Then there's the numerous tools required for these projects, they're not reflected in this cost either because I already own them. I guess my point is that, while the cost of improvements has already doubled my initial investment, I feel lucky because it could've easily been higher.

- 6 new tires and good spare
-  Deep cycle battery
- Added passenger seatbelt
- 2" ball hitch
- Oil & filter change, changed air filter & fuel filter, added fluids as needed
- Cleaned contacts on non-working running lights and replaced RH/rear light
- Silicone cracked roof vent in hallway
- New, original style wiper blades
- Replaced 6 cracked/broken dome light covers
- Sewed new channel in awning canvas and installed awning
- Fixed broken RH CB antenna
- Tested propane system for leaks + functionality of fridge, HW heater, furnace and range
- Checked water system and plumbing components (Found crack/leak on top of gray water tank)
- Replaced deteriorated exterior range vent
- Added BBQ hose line and quick-coupler to propane line
- Polished all electrical connections in battery compartment
- Fixed instrument/dash lights and running lights "always on" problem
- New headlight switch
- New front brake pads, rotors, wheel bearings, adjusted rear brakes
- Installed TV wall mount and hidden wiring + outlet and surge protector under bench
- Removed mis-matched front seats and installed power captain's chairs and 20A circuit

And no post summarizing the improvements to my MH would be complete without giving due credit to this forum and the people here. You've given me the information, courage, inspiration and motivation necessary. Seriously, the help and encouragement this forum provides has kept it moving.  :'( :)clap

And I will pass along some advice to anyone else just starting out... Start writing down things that need to be done as you find them and keep a list. A couple different people suggested this right off the bat and it's a tremendous help.

sasktrini

Good job!  Tires really hit you in the wallet.

When you look around, what is still on the "to do" list?

Pics are good for sharing  ;)
Corey aka sasktrini

legomybago

Another thing everyone should do is keep a log book of their work, date, mileage, part #'s, etc..That goes along ways when/if you ever sell it, and to have for your own reference. Just think of all the nightmares people wouldnt have if they bought their vintage Rv from someone who kept a log on all part numbers, dates when replaced, where they purchased items, etc...
But thatdoesnt matter, because everything worked when they parked it ??? , thats all I know... Hm?

Just by having the vehicle maintenance information and parts knowledge on record is a reason to ask/get more money, makes your rig more desirable to potential buyers...Id pay more. But you see a lot of people who join this forum "not knowing" what to expect when they purchased a classic rv....thats just how it goes sometimes. Just like JessEm's story...Im impressed with the story, and the learning experience that he just went through...keep up the good work!! Hammer down!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

This topic has been moved to the General Board because it is just a grocery list of what has been done.

Only "projects" which include detailed information on how they were done are posted on the projects board, as stated in the "what to .  A project is a DYI documentary as specifically defined in the "What is a 'project' - What to post on this board" topic:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7486.0.html

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca