Insanity

Started by rattlenbang, August 26, 2014, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlenbang

While driving a vintage RV is great, cool fun, as always there's another side to it as I've discovered in the past year or so. I bought Thunderbutt for $700, but that was just the beginning. I'm startled by the list when I think about everything we've done to her:

Six new tires and 6 new rims, replaced connecting rod bearing as a temp repair for a bad 413, followed by two more big block Dodge engines after a friend toasted the first replacement, transmission rebuild, rebuild torque converter, replace tranny oil cooler lines, replace exhaust gaskets, pull head and get broken exhaust bolts taken out at machine shop, adjust silly long MH dipstick, adjust steering gear, all engine gauges replaced complete with new sensors, new thermostat, new starter relay, fix starter, new voltage regulator, two new batteries, power steering belt, full tune up, new Holley 4-barrel carburetor, full chassis lube, replace rear end oil, pack front bearings, adjust all brakes, adjust speedometer, replace fridge, replace hot water tank, install roof rack and awning and rear ladder, replace passenger seat with more comfortable modern captain's chair, install extra AC outlets, install new bathroom cabinet, install new outside light, repair water pressure regulator, repair wiring, replace marker lamp lenses, replace coolant and windshield washer bottles and pump, paint cabinets, cover rear panelling with vinyl textured wallpaper, stain remaining panelling, replace broken trim, clean carpets, replace twin single beds with one queen, replace stereo and speakers, replace coat rack , repair interior lighting, seal toilet, install extra aux propane line, replace all fittings on propane tank, remove, clean and seal gas tank, replace fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel lines, replace fuel gauge sender, replace oilpan gasket, replace engine oil pump, front and back crankshaft seals, replace oven light fixture, adjust oven, replace kitchen tap cartridge, caulk roof seam, install new grill opening to allow more airflow for radiator, replace some kitchen plumbing, replace bathroom tap, replace curtain hardware, repair furnace, repair folding step, reroute water tank overflow,replace cabinet door catches, install 12V outlet, fix dash wiring, replace corroded fuses, secure skirting with additional framing, weld more support under water heater and I'm sure there's a lot more I'm forgetting. We've probably driven her 1000 km or so.

What's truly frightening is there's still tons more 41-year-old parts that haven't been replaced yet!

sasktrini

Just imagine all the miles and enjoyment you will get out of it!  Sounds great!
Corey aka sasktrini

LJ-TJ

Hey you think that's BAD! After all that mine burnt to the ground. No kidding. Think I learned my lesson. Nup. Went out and bought another one. These old girls are the family mans hot rod. You can't afford a hot rod you buy an old Winnie that you and the kids can wrench on, take pride in and take the hole gang on the road with after every time you get her fixed. It doesn't get any better than that. Not to mention the campfire stories you get to tell about fix'n her up. Think of the adventures.

legomybago

That rig is sounding pretty tight....You could have spent 3k originally for the rig, and you would probably still have to do your list....The sad part of RV restoring, is their really is no money in it if and when you sell. At least you know your going to get to your location with it safe and sound :)clap , and have 10 thousand times more character than other rigs at a park...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

JessEm

You've been busy! How long have you owned her?

There's a few things on your list I would like to do to MINE! Adding a ladder and roof rack is one of them.

rattlenbang

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 26, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hey you think that's BAD! After all that mine burnt to the ground. No kidding. Think I learned my lesson. Nup. Went out and bought another one. These old girls are the family mans hot rod. You can't afford a hot rod you buy an old Winnie that you and the kids can wrench on, take pride in and take the hole gang on the road with after every time you get her fixed. It doesn't get any better than that. Not to mention the campfire stories you get to tell about fix'n her up. Think of the adventures.

OMG, and I thought I had a target on my back. I hope you have a lot of insurance.

I share legomybago's logic: I could have spent a lot more and ended up having to much of the same work; the problem is you never know. I bought her on impulse not knowing what I was getting into. The thing is sometimes that gamble pays off and you get a diamond in the rough, other times you get pig poo in Xmas wrap. This one was a little closer to the pig poo scale to be honest, as the previous owner didn't believe in fixing stuff, not if it cost him money, so there was a lot of dubious repairs and delayed maintenance. He loved using drywall screws as generic fasteners all over the place, and if he came to a spot where he needed a nut and bolt, the "nut" was a plastic pop bottle cap he drove the drywall screw through. He was if nothing else creative.

As to investment, I'll never get my labour costs back, but this is such a cool old RV that I think I could get a decent price for her, at least locally. my money back for sure. Vintage stuff can actually sell at a premium if it's in good condition.

We are just heading out on a two-month road trip and so time will tell if it was worth all moanin' and cursin' and spilt blood.

acenjason

Last night I was camping and sitting comfortably under the roof I finally got sealed after weeks and weeks. I could hear the rain and smiled with enjoyment...... And thought of what needs doing next. It never ends. That's the beautiful and dreadful thing. Its a love affair...... Winnebago built my hotrod :)

intofire1

On September 25, 2014 I drop my only son off at UCLA for him to start college. He will be studying bio-medical engineering. He takes after his mother! During his graduation speech he gave 2 to 3 minutes of Winnebago comments. He stated he knew the difference between a Quadra jet and a Holley carburetor. The difference between an intake manifold and a exhaust manifold. How to install airbags, shocks and a differential cover and even knowing what a differential does. How to tune up at 440 and change a water pump. He stated that the best vacation started in third grade and continued all through high school. That's when his parents, two dogs would be sitting inside the Winnebago outside his grammar school, surfboards and bicycles packed ready to spend the weekend at a local beach. Now I don't know what I spent on the Winnebago over the last 11 years but it was worth every penny.
Gil in LA CA

legomybago

Thats really cool stuff....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Mytdawg

Quote from: intofire1 on August 29, 2014, 12:21 PM
On September 25, 2014 I drop my only son off at UCLA for him to start college. He will be studying bio-medical engineering. He takes after his mother! During his graduation speech he gave 2 to 3 minutes of Winnebago comments. He stated he knew the difference between a Quadra jet and a Holley carburetor. The difference between an intake manifold and a exhaust manifold. How to install airbags, shocks and a differential cover and even knowing what a differential does. How to tune up at 440 and change a water pump. He stated that the best vacation started in third grade and continued all through high school. That's when his parents, two dogs would be sitting inside the Winnebago outside his grammar school, surfboards and bicycles packed ready to spend the weekend at a local beach. Now I don't know what I spent on the Winnebago over the last 11 years but it was worth every penny.
Gil in LA CA

:)clap

That's a nice story...

Mytdawg

Sadly I found this site after I bought mine.  I don't know if I'd do the same thing again.  Although considering age and location, mine could be much much worse.  But it's really too big for me to deal with and I have not been successful in chasing down some of it's gremlins.  People that were willing to work on it have had life changes that have taken them in other directions.  It's not really reliable enough for me to trust it to deliver kids and dogs successfully so it just serves as a reminder that I'm a dork that doesn't plan very well...   :-[

acenjason

If you can find an old truck mechanic that is helpful. Or fix her yourself she can be plenty reliable. Rome wasn't built in a day.  My Winny starts before I can let off the key. Every time. I wish I lived next door to ya:) I can say that everything you or your mechanic need to know is right Here in these threads. I haven't stumped them yet. I think OZ knows where every bolt goes:)

TripleJ

Intofire1, that's a good story. I've got youngns now and my hope is they get a little something to remember down the road. Like sometimes you don't need to take out a loan to have a little fun. SOMETIMES some hard work and perseverance will get you there (and of course sometime taking the loan might've been worth it...)

And to the OP, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. If you can take a 1973 ANYTHING out for two months and make it back, I think your doing all right.

I don't exactly regret buying mine yet, but it is taking me a LOT longer to get together than I intended. I'm still hopeful there are some good miles ahead.

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Lefty

I can't sit here and say I don't regret buying my two Winne's I owned... The first one caught fire three different times, for three different reasons and in different places, as well as losing the brakes going down a mountain.. All on it's maiden voyage after an extensive 2yr restoration.

The second, I bought, had towed to the house, discovered the dash wiring and entire chassis electrical system were destroyed beyond repair. Cut my losses and let a guy with an ad in a local paper offering to pick up scap come tow it away.

But... there was three things I'll remember.
1: The guy in Gatlinburg who walked up and introduced himself, and after talking a min. told me "I built this Winnebago..." He had retired from the Winnebago factory after 41yrs. In fact, he said he particularly remembered mine, because it was one of only two custom ordered two door D27MI's built that year... and that mine had went to the VP of the SE Region of the W.I.T. club. (I later learned he was right, and that the original owner had traded in a 2yr old D28 for it... and outfitted the interior as a mobile office for club events.)

2: The guy in the Dodge Hemi Challenger at a gas station in Ga. that said "Damn, that thing sounds good!" (In reference to my Chieftain idling at the gas pumps... (hedman headders, dual 3" exhaust, and Magnaflow 40's)

3; The fact that it could jump a curb at 50mph, bulldoze an 8' wide path thru 4ft high shrubbery removing at least 6" of the dirt and roots as well, sail off a 3' high retaining wall, and take a 90deg corner on two wheels (technically three if you count the rear two tires separately)... and do it without getting one scratch, scuff, dent, or mark on it... and not one thing damaged underneath either. (didn't even break a single dish inside either...)  Try THAT with one of those new, fancy-schmancy RV's they sell today!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

acenjason

rattlenbang

Well I got about 100 km on my two-month odyssey, and now find myself getting an exhaust manifold planed down, gasket replaced, upper coolant hose replaced and am searching for a new transmission dipstick tube. But I have a feeling this will chase out the final demons. It's been a long, long haul, but when you pull a truck like this out of the weeds as I did, it's not surprising. Thing is I've restored vehicles before, just never one that needed work on just about everything like this old beast, and unlike a passenger vehicle there's as much stuff to rework inside as on the chassis. But I'm not complaining: I'm parked on the ocean, I have a home on wheels that's as cool as anything out there, and got it for  fraction of the cost of a more modern rig. I get an honest 10 mpg, as well, which is as good as I ever got from my much smaller '77 tradesman van conversion and even my '68 Galaxy 500. Life is sweet.

Mytdawg

Quote from: Lefty on August 30, 2014, 06:06 PM

3; The fact that it could jump a curb at 50mph, bulldoze an 8' wide path thru 4ft high shrubbery removing at least 6" of the dirt and roots as well, sail off a 3' high retaining wall, and take a 90deg corner on two wheels (technically three if you count the rear two tires separately)... and do it without getting one scratch, scuff, dent, or mark on it... and not one thing damaged underneath either. (didn't even break a single dish inside either...)  Try THAT with one of those new, fancy-schmancy RV's they sell today!

I don't think I want to try this at home...   N:(

Mytdawg

We've spent the better part of 2 summers picking away at the issues as time and money permitted.  Probably would have been money ahead to just buy a working unit.  Duh, like I said this site was an afterthought.  Hey!  I got a beater Winnie, I bet someone else does too.  The brakes are all redone.  New shocks.  New exhaust manifolds as both leaked very badly.  New radiator.  The exhaust is cobbled at best.  Put new bias ply tires on it and found a spare wheel and tire, unfortunately that's a radial but that's what I found...  Got no jack for it anyway.  I found a vintage generator for it but it's not the exact correct one so the exhaust and mounting doesn't line up.  I'll need that fabricated by someone smarter than I.  I was going to pull the carb until I found the kick down rod just hanging off the motor.  I took that to a machine shop and had them drill a hole in it so I could use a cotter pin to keep it in place.  It seems to run much better now that it holds shifts more than 50 rpm.  Mechanically it's fine, or close enough.  But the PO jacked the wiring.  One day I got brake lights and one day I don't.  Same with wipers and turn signals and gauges and everything else electrical and for the life of me I can't get enough consistency to troubleshoot.  It appears as though it's completely random thanks to his practice of tying all hot wires together.  I've spent enough time upside down under the dash to qualify as a circus performer.  I've cut out about 20 feet of wire trying to get down to basic functions but to no avail so far.  As near as I can tell the switch that is supposed to control what gas tank is being used is actually turning on the relay that bridges the house and chassis batteries, my understanding is the MOM switch is supposed to do that.  After that it gets confusing...  So his solution was to put a quick disconnect on the battery so his whack job on the wiring doesn't kill the batteries.  Good Lord...  D:oH!

intofire1

Parent weekend at UCLA end of October. Local hotels, a cheap one is $250 and up and they are booked. Will park the Winnebago at local fire station for free for three days. Winnebago saves me $750 and hanging with the wife and son priceless! 
Gil in LA CA