Lowered Suspension Questions

Started by JessEm, August 21, 2014, 12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

I'm not having much luck finding info on lowering the suspension. I tried search words like lowrider, dropped suspension and lowering kits.

Maybe this topic hasn't been covered? ... Basically, for starters, I'm just wondering what I'm getting into? And what changes will be required? I really like the look in this pic.

acenjason

acenjason

That does look cool) I was wondering about installing air bags into my suspension. I think I saw a nice bag set up on OZ's pics. I want to put them on to be able to level easy and I don't see why a person couldn't set it up to make Winny  drop!:0 It is an interesting idea. You should ask The Great and Powerful Oz about it. It looked like it was installed into the existing leaf shock set up.......

LJ-TJ

If it were me I think I'd try to get hold of the Ring Brothers to see if I could get the name of the chap they bought there rig from. Who knows maybe they'd tell you. Never hurts to ask. What's the worse they could say? NO. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/swap-insanity-ringbrothers-1972-winnebago-happy-camper/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=swap-insanity-ringbrothers-1972-winnebago-happy-camper

Mytdawg

I know these guys make a lot of the components used in lowered cars.  http://www.airliftcompany.com/

legomybago

Im going to take a guess.....axle flip in the rear, and custom dropped front spindles built. I really dont think you can purchase anything to lower a Winnebago Hm? Custom stuff
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DonD

Plus you won't need an entry step!
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

Quote from: acenjason on August 21, 2014, 02:52 AM
That does look cool) I was wondering about installing air bags into my suspension. I think I saw a nice bag set up on OZ's pics. I want to put them on to be able to level easy and I don't see why a person couldn't set it up to make Winny  drop!:0 It is an interesting idea. You should ask The Great and Powerful Oz about it. It looked like it was installed into the existing leaf shock set up.......

The front air bags have not been available for a few years now.  The rear ones fit with just enough clearance that you have to be careful not to put in too little air.  I know they wouldn't work with a dropped suspension.

Everything going into these lowered RVs is custom work and or compatible part selection from other vehicles.  It's nearly new territory.  As TJ and others suggested, best thing to do is to contact the source.  I'm sure someone will create a website/group for this special interest RV customization.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

My question would be...why they heck would you want to lower a Winnebago (or any RV or truck for that matter) if its going to be used for anything other than show purposes?  Makes no sense to me.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

My best guess would be the same as why climb to the top of mt Everest?  Just to do it.  Personally, I think it's ridiculous trying to make old RVs look like tuner cars.  Only a few lend themselves to it, really, but IMO, definitely not  Winnebagos. And it needs to be done right.

The Starcraft is one. 

[smg id=6706]

JessEm

The same reason you would lower ANY vehicle... If you have to ask...

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks all for the input. Interesting stuff.

ClydesdaleKevin

It wasn't meant to be snarky, so if it came out that way, my apologies.  However, unless its going to be a show vehicle that never goes off road (any campground that isn't paved) or over really bad roads or speed bumps, you end up limiting where you can go, and how much you can carry.  When you lower a vehicle you take away a LOT of its overall weight carrying capacity.  Now add in the skirts that hang down from bottom sides of an RV, and you've just reduced your clearance over obstacles to next to nothing.  I say go for it if you aren't going to use it much as a camper, or its only going to be a pavement pounder.  But if you plan on camping in most campgrounds, the end result isn't going to make you very happy.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

acenjason

Like low rider cars, I would bet that that above mentioned and pictured RV was dropped using air bags. Since those systems use an on board compresser they are easily raised and lowered depending on clearance needs. And I bet that dude has an easy time leveling. I think lowered Winny's look cool:)

Oz

It would be interesting to see a diagram and list of exactly what they do and use to do this.

Thenoob

Bumping this

Just bought a 73 d19, want to fab adjustable airbags in it.  It all starts if dodge built these on an existing van/truck chassis which is what we would need to know, then we can look to source the parts.

Thenoob

So these dodges were apparently built on a m300 chassis as another member just filled me in on.

Should make it a bit easier to source info/kit etc

acenjason

I looked into switching one of my old dump trucks to air ride. The kit for a Pete 379 was pretty steep. Its a much heavier set up but still......

LJ-TJ

Well I kind a like the idea of lowering one of these old girls as well as I like the sun visor. I always wanted to hot rod or customize one of these old girls. Been trying to find a nice set of Bud wheels like the ones the big rigs. I think you could have a blast dressing one of these old girls up. Have at her mate. Lets see what you can come up with. She's a nice looking rig.

ClydesdaleKevin

Just not my speed.  I'm more about lifting them and converting them to 4x4...lol!  I'd LOVE to see a Monster Truck D-18 or the like, eyebrows and all!

Kev

M & J

Us too Kev. Theres buggyriding trips we wont go on because the rv is too low to get in on the roads. We're not sleeping in a tent again.
M & J

Oz

Thenoob

Slam the piss out of it
Imagine if a grandpa had to get in there you could lay frame and he can just walk right in

Thenoob

Anyways

I sent those guys an email asking to explain what they went for up front for bags, I can't find an air ride kit for a dodge m300 or parts so they had to have stumbled on something that fit

JessEm

Quote from: Thenoob on August 26, 2014, 11:59 AM
Anyways

I sent those guys an email asking to explain what they went for up front for bags, I can't find an air ride kit for a dodge m300 or parts so they had to have stumbled on something that fit

+1. You beat me to it. .. To be honest, this project is still down the list a ways.

Thenoob

Bumping because I'm still searching for chassis fit for airbags... But in the meantime: