New to the RV world. Have a 1977 Dodge M400

Started by Bennett77, August 17, 2014, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett77

Coach was built by S & S homes. It is a Sprinter, wondering how many more are out there. 440-3 engine run great, has a few dents and other wear. Looking for info on where to get body parts to restore. 26 footer.
Bought this without even test driving it. Started it up checked the lights and breaks, then did the 100 mile drive home with the wife following. Ran a little rough but not bad, gas gage does not work, running on rear tank at the moment, it has a drain so the former owners son drain the tank and had some new fuel in it. When we got it home  I replaced the carb, distributor, coil, plugs, plug wires, electronic ignition modual, and voltage regulator all parts came from auto zone. Fuel in main tank is so old it looks like stout ice tea. Also replaced transfer valve for fuel tanks. The rest of the truck is in driving shape. Need to drop tanks and replace sensors and make a new power source for the five volt system in the dash, have the parts just waiting for my shoulder to get back up to speed ( had rotor cup repaired) Wife has been doing some interior work, changed the rear lounge into permanent beds, and put shelving into the wardrobe to make a little pantry. Looking forward to learning and sharing info.
Chief Engineer-My Craft Allows Me To Build ANYTHING IN THE WORLD. I possess a skill set 98% of the population can not do.

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

HandyDan

Nice old rig.  Personally, I like the twin beds.  Not trying to start a debate on queen or twin, but, for me the twins are my choice.  Hope your project goes well and you don't run into any dead ends.  Some of the most mundane things can become major hurdles.  My latest has been the city water intake valve.  Such a small item but a major pita trying to replace it. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Wbago

Nice motor :D .. welcome aboard, hope you bought booze and money, im finding both are essential lol :D

M & J

M & J

73dodgeTitan

Good score. Keep us posted on the progress!

acenjason

Nice ride:) What kind of carb did you use for a replacement? I just put a new eddelbrock 1412 4 barrel on the 440 in my 75 Brave D21:)

Bennett77

Got a rebuilt unit from auto zone for $304.99 part number c6067 it's a thermoquad, same as the factory carb. Pulled old carb off, set new carb in place, cranked the engine a few times to get the carb full of gas, two pumps of the pedal and vrooom.

Chief Engineer-My Craft Allows Me To Build ANYTHING IN THE WORLD. I possess a skill set 98% of the population can not do.

acenjason

Cool:) Actually, mine was a 1411 not a 12. Glad you found a good replacement:) You paid a lot less than I did.

Bennett77

Did I mention that the fuel gage is not working? After I replaced all the wires, plugs, carb etc., etc. ran up and down the road testing, I took it to town eight miles one way to have the gasket for the windshield fixed. On the way home about half a mile from home it sputtered, got it parked in the drive and went out the next morning to move it, yep, out of gas.
Took the opportunity to drop the rear fuel tank to find out why the gage did not work. Found the float was bad, had a few holes in it. After letting it dry out, I took a wire brush to it, put a lot of Rubyfluid flux on the bad spots, useing a soldering iron (not a torch) filled in everything, problem solved, gage now works. Now to do the side tank. After note, this is not a simple job, let alone doing it after having rotor cup surgery two months ago.

sasktrini

Corey aka sasktrini

JessEm

xerofall

Good to know about the fuel tank, I too have a faulty gauge and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Oz

There's an article in the Member Area specifically on this problem for your year, Xerofall.  Very common problem, and not necessarily fuel tank end related.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

serenitygirl64

Welcome to the wonderful world of freedom.  Your travelling home looks great.