Slight waterpump leak, safe to drive?

Started by yvan, August 16, 2014, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvan

While prepping my 73 Indian for this week-ends trip I parked it in the garage last night. This morning there is a puddle under the engine of coolant(about 4 inches ) and  fresh coolant running down the lower rad hose starting at the water-pump. We had planned a 300 mile round trip excursion for the week-end, I added a stop leak solution to the rad, and it's still leaking slightly. My question is is it safe to drive? Of would it be wise to cancel our week-end.
Yvan

Proud Eyebrow RV owner since 2014

Oz

That's always a loaded question.  "What if it blows?"  That will not only ruin the weekend, it could be more costly to get it fixed (possible additional damage). 

My advice is nothing new, especially with vintage RVs, "Better safe than sorry." 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

yvan

I got lucky, took the interior engine cover off to check tranny fluid level, and low and behold the leak was coming from the upper rad hose, leaking down on waterpump. That said your advice is great, and what I had planned on doing, staying home, but since the issue is less then dramatic(tightened up the collar all is better now, no leak) off we go!   
Yvan

Proud Eyebrow RV owner since 2014

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

if it was a slight leak no big deal just let the pressure off by opening the rad cap one turn. I made it with a small leak 2 weeks ago over a thousand miles. my exhaust manifold gasket went for a crap. so in order to repair it I lost the coolant in the engine so changed the pump then.