crap! Fuel on dip stick

Started by acenjason, August 08, 2014, 01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

OK, so I have gas in my oil. I smell it on the dip stick and also on the oil leaking from my rear main seal. I have read many things from bad mechanical fuel pump diaphragm to to rich of a carb setting to bad rings to name a few . I am leaning away from rings cause I am not having power loss or lots of smoke and even if the rings are bad all that fuel shouldn't be above them to run through.... So  . Any ideas on How can I narrow this list  down? My Winny thanks you:)

Stripe

I would first look at your carburetor. Find which one it is and then follow the manufacturers instructions on setting the screws positions.
Also, just to be sure, do a compression test on your cylinders. Lack of power loss isn't always an indicator.
Lastly, check your pump diaphragm. Do a forum search, I am sure there is one article on removing and replacing the pump on the 440.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

M & J

MotorPro

Unless you have black smoke pouring out your tailpipe.....fuel pump.

acenjason

Cool:) No black smoke. I just put on a new edellbrock 1411 4 barrel. I know the screws on the front adjust and I have the instructions that came with it. I live at 7500 ft here in steamboat springs ,co and camp much higher than 7500. So, I prolly need to lean out the mixture anyway. I just have it on factory settings. One thing though. I had a bit of fuel smell before the new carb. I was new to the vehicle and chalked it up to old motor rings. But it is much worse now and the fuel pump fully explains it all. I have to get under there but I seem to remember the PO saying something about adding a after market in line electronic fuel pump as an improvement. The fuel tank is only five feet from the motor so that seems now like a way to either get her to run or a way a lazy mechanic to make her go. Pushing at a higher psi than the mechanical pump on engine would blow that rubber diaphragm apart.....right? I will do an oil change to make sure that it wasn't fuel that leaked in when the old module crapped out cause I cranked both batteries dead.  I will prolly read about carb adjustment and scope out the pump location. Or locations........ Thanks for all the help:) Any other input is invited. :) I got a real fixer upper but I love my Winny. Lol, soon I will be a pretty fair classic RV/Dodge wrench. :) Which is cool and then I can help people with there rigs:)

ruggb

I agree, fuel pump is bad.  I rebuilt a thermo quad on my 1974 winnebago with 440 and soon after I had gas in oil.  Replaced fuel pump and changed oil and all is good.  Well, that is no more fuel in the oil.  The thermo quad was junk so I got a rebuilt Carter AFB from www.carburetorsandmore.com.  Wow what an improvement.  They rebuild each carburetor and test on a live engine and adjust all settings.  They also explain how you should only run 3 lbs. of fuel pressure to all carburetors.  Today's alcohol fuel is lighter than the old leaded stuff in the 70's therefore it will vapor lock more easily in the fuel bowl due to having too much fuel pressure.  A mechanical fuel pump puts out 7 to 10 lbs. of pressure. Get a fuel regulator and gauge between the pump and carb and set it at 3 lbs. of pressure for the best results with today's alcohol mixed gasoline.  The Carter AFB was the best thing I did to my 440.  I now get about 2 mpg better mileage. I run with 3 lbs. of pressure and she purrrrrs like a kitten and comes alive when I put my foot into her.

acenjason