12ga Purple Wire Under Dash -- What's It For?

Started by JessEm, August 03, 2014, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

I was poking around the wiring under the dash and there's a big 12ga Purple wire that's been snipped just hanging near the fuse box. Anyone know what it's for??

I doubt it's related to the wiring issue I'm trying to fix, but I guess you never know...

I just don't understand what drives people to mess with wiring in vehicles to the extent the PO did with mine.  N:(

circleD

If its purple and cleaner than the others it might be after market sound system. Since its snipped look to see if there was a spot on the fuse panel that could produce at least 20 amps. The key to finding out what's factory and PO is to see how clean the wires and connection is compared to others and the route they are ran. And a pic would help.

JessEm

I pulled off the toe kick behind the gas pedal and tracked the purple wire to the left side of this:

Other wires and plugs just dangling back there, doing nothing:

And a 5th wire/plug not plugged into anything, a brown wire:

A rats nest of wires, electrical tape, zip ties, suspicious looking connectors and more electrical tape.

DonD

The brown looks like a cig lighter 12v supply.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Stripe

Brown wire looks more like a radio antenna connector. But then again.. i??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

JessEm

Well the cig lighter works so antenna could be right.

Does anyone know where that snipped purple wire I'm holding should go? It comes off the left side of that switch in the first picture...

Rickf1985

That is a constant duty relay, I would venture a guess that it is a battery charging switch for the house batteries when the vehicle is running. Do you have a switch on the dash somewhere for switching house batteries to engine?

circleD

Or the solenoid could be hooked to the ignition switch. Some people do it that way and some like myself like to have control with a switch. What ever it went to is after market and needed some power 20 amps at least. Also look for holes in the floor or other places that something could've been mounted.

Elandan2

Winnebago also used constant duty relays for the heater circuit.  The fuse in the fuse box only powers the relay, then the power (purple wire) goes to the heater fan switch on the dash.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

pvoth1111

I think that fires the explosive bolts on the emergency escape hatch....im pretty sure :angel:
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteWinnebago also used constant duty relays for the heater circuit.  The fuse in the fuse box only powers the relay, then the power (purple wire) goes to the heater fan switch on the dash.  Rick

BINGO, the winner
[move][/move]

JessEm

PwrWgnWalt

The brown wire plug is the female end, for the male plug of another wire.

I believe Brown is the parking light circuit on your MH, so this would be an auxiliary plug for additional parking/running lights.  You can use your multimeter to figure it out.  Chances are it is simply "extra".

There is also a chance it could have been for the "presence lamp relay", so if you did not find that particular part in your running light circuit, that may be where it attached, in part.
Walt & Tina