My P30 project

Started by cncsparky, March 17, 2014, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

We recently inherited a 88  Sportscoach Cross Country on a 87 P30 chassis.  It just recently got in our name and now ready to get it road worthy.  My in laws purchased from the original owner 7-8 years ago and only used it once.  They offered to sell it to my wife and I, but after taking a look at the work necessary to get it useable, I declined.  They decided to give it to us  W%   . 

Here is a working list of mechanical items I feel need looked at on it.  Feel free to add suggestions.

Check out cooling system, radiator, belts, hoses, water pump.
Carburetor rebuild - already done by Sean Murphy Induction
New shocks
Front air bags won't hold air
Front wheel bearings
Brakes
Modify ignition timing, tune up
Leaky manifolds
Rear end lube
Tranny service, add temperature gauge
Fuel system, new mech. pump, drop tank to check elect., replace rubber lines, filters

Here is where it starts  :'(

-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

That list is an excellent start.  Looks like you bee doing some reading!   :)ThmbUp
Add
chassis battery
Lights, turn signals, etc.

Now that is the chassis list.

Where is the coach list?
[move][/move]

cncsparky

This weekend got started pulling the radiator.  I don't know how much RV mechanics make, but it probably isn't enough  $@!#@!

After reading the forums, was able to get the condensor and fans up out of the way enough to get to the radiator.  Took out the grill for more space. 

Hard to tell, but the radiator is coming out the front with the condensor swung up.  Notice the crud in the radiator fins.  Took about 3hrs to get to this point.

Here is a view after removal.  Could not get the shroud out before taking out the clutch fan.

Finally!! The engine.  A couple of the belts are originals!

-Tom

cncsparky

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on March 17, 2014, 09:09 PM
That list is an excellent start.  Looks like you bee doing some reading!   :)ThmbUp
Add
chassis battery
Lights, turn signals, etc.

Now that is the chassis list.

Where is the coach list?

Dave, I may start a coach section later after its running.  My wife and I agreed to get it on the road and hopefully use it over the summer before starting any interior repairs.  She is already talking hard wood floors, curtains, etc.  I did get on the roof and put some eternabond down. 
-Tom

cncsparky

Took the radiator in to one of the few shops left in the area.  They knew exactly what it came out of.  They also commented on how good of shape the radiator appeared to be in.  I asked and it is a 4 core.  Should be ready in a few days, I'll update the cost.
-Tom

circleD

Hey cncsparky, I'm in the same boat as you man. A great deal and a lot of work and research. I have a 1984 p30 and the only tips I can give you is to clean electrical connections and spray penetrating oil on anything you might be working on in advance. 80% of my issues have been bad connections and dry rotted hoses so just by 10' of each size of vacuum hose that you need for extra and I keep spare hoses for others. So just degrease it, clean electrical contacts, replace any hose you can, and buy in bulk ;).

cncsparky

Stripped the engine of some "unnecessary pulleys"   :laugh:   .  Talked to a mechanic friend of mine, he said since I was already deep into it, to check out the timing chain.  Went deeper, glad I did.  While it wasn't showing significant wear, I was able to move the cam gear back and forth a bit.  This will only get worse further down the road.  This will be $40 well spent. 

-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do they require you to have all the stock emissions connected in England?

Dave
[move][/move]

cncsparky

Has anyone had issues with power steering pumps?  Wondering if it would be worth the $40 or so to replace it now.  Looks like the bleeding procedure is involved with the hydroboost system.  Just thinking out loud.
-Tom

cncsparky

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on March 17, 2014, 09:35 PM
Do they require you to have all the stock emissions connected in England?

Dave

Dave, does my profile say England somewhere?  I looked.  No, I'm in Ks.  We don't have emissions testing.
-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yep, map says you are just outside of Little Haywood in the UK!   D:oH!

Thats why I asked about England

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3973

You need to tickle Mark about that.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Whoa! According to the map he is DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to Wales...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

So, like Dorothy and Toto... you wish you were back in Kansas?

:laugh:
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cncsparky

Thanks Mark!  Its good to be home!
-Tom

Froggy1936

Sparky Wile its out (i cut a 6 in section out of the bottom of the shroud ) Then you can remove it without removing the fan next time . Had no ill effect on cooling and makes any hose/belt Water pump radiator etc procedure easier   After installing chain and before putting cover on rotate engine 360o and make sure marks realign . Also now is the time to mfg a timing tab for the bottom of the pully You can hacksaw a notch at exact bottom of pully wile off .  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cncsparky

Thanks Froggy, was already thinking about how to modify the shroud.  I have two timing tabs, one in the normal spot about 2 oclock, and the other about 5 oclock. 
-Tom

circleD

Post some pics please. I'm curious for my future project Hm?

tiinytina

re: hydroboost - on the P30 this also is your power brakes.. and from experience (when it failed) yes worth $40 to put in a new one...... just make sure to tighten it in place and make sure (new) belt to it is tight as well (ie run her up the road and check it again) .....  Trying to turn a 28' beast with no power steering, and or trying to put it into a camp space... without power steering is a real !#@$#$@!^%$&!!!!!  not to mention having no brakes..... eeeks.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

cncsparky

Thanks Tina!  I went ahead and bolted the orginal back in today.  Maybe a mistake, we will see.  I hate doing that, but budget dictates it right now.   :'(
-Tom

cncsparky

While waiting on engine parts, I got started on the wheel bearings and air bags. 

First off, safety.   :)clap    I did not feel comfortable with a front wheel off and my 6ton jackstands holding the rig.  They had to be extended too far and set on a block to get the RV up in the air enough.  Went to harbor freight and picked up a pair of 12 ton units.  Luckily, I caught them on sale  :)ThmbUp .  If you don't have some, you need them  :) .  They are monsters compared the the 6 ton units.  And they reach around 30". 

Got the wheel/tire off to have a look at the bearings.  Pulled the caliper.  Then after fiddling getting the dust cap off, unscrewd the spindle nut and slid the rotor off.  The bearings are USA made Timkens and looked great.  Cleaned them up, repacked and installed a new seal.  The original seal was a National # 472018 .  No one had that one in stock, and it was 3X the price of National # 8974S that was stocked for the P30.  The original seal was .380" wide, the new one is .5" wide.  It fit and seated fine. 

Here is a trick, I think Kevin posted some time back.  Put the bearing in a baggie to pack.  BTW - I use Amsoil synthetic marine grease.

Next up I pulled the old, rotten air bag out of it.

This was done on the drivers side only.  Gonna wait till my new bags come in before buttoning this up and starting the other side. 
-Tom

cncsparky

Some parts came in quicker than expected this morning, so got busy on the engine again.  Parts from Rock Auto.  If you order from them, make sure to do an internet search for a discount code.  I always find a number to use, usually 5% off. 

This shipment was 100% USA made parts  :)clap   

Got started right away this morning.  So far everything is going together as good as expected  W%   The dampner pressed on with no issues.

Going back together.  I was able to install 2 power steering belts now after the unneccessary pulleys were removed.  What do you guys think, worth while to run 2 belts?  Their number is 15410 for those playing at home  :D .  I don't think that is the original number, but it puts the adjustment right in the middle.

Waiting on a new AC fuel pump to come in.  Also, going to put new bearings in the alternator, they just don't feel right to me.  BTW, the bearings in the passenger side unneccessary pulley were about gone.  My rig as around 65K miles.

-Tom

circleD

Are you going to clean up all the chassis components with a wire brush or grinder and then paint? That'll look SWEET :) to have a glossy black undercarriage!! I know it takes time to do it but I'm watching to see how much hassle this will be for me this fall. Keep up the good work and keep taking pics.

tiinytina

impressed that your air bags came out in one piece.. mine were "stuck" to the springs, had to cut them out/off bit by bit... which took close to 1.5 hrs each side... I won't go into installation as that is already well documented here... LOL...

Tina

tiinytina

Check your brake lines while you are under there... 8 tons don't stop on a dime....

cncsparky

Circle - I'm not planning on cleaning up or painting anything here  :D   Sounds like work to me  :)rotflmao

Tina - the drivers side air bag came out with only a few minutes of fiddling with it, hopefully the other side is the same  Hm?   The new bags are supposed to be in today, may get a chance at installing one soon. 

The brake lines look ok so far, heard the problems with them are internal.  They can break inside in such a way to create a one way valve which causes the brakes to stick.  At a minimum, I'd like to flush the old fluid out soon.
-Tom