P30 driver side inner fender well holiday rambler

Started by circleD, March 14, 2014, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I was going to cut the sheet metal and make access panels but I took the bolts out instead along with 2 self tapping screws holding wire loom. If you ever need to work in that area there are 5 bolts 13mm that have the nuts welded to the supports so only a rachet and maybe a short extension needed along with a 1/4 socket for the self tapping ones. There are 2 bolts 13mm and 2 1/4 screws accessable from the fender well and 3 at the front starting at the bottom and going vertical. Take off the grill and you can reach them easily. I took all this apart and cleaned the bolts and screws then sprayed lube on everything so I can take it off easier when really needed. Next will be to paint it then reinstall. The pics are not the best put they should give an example.

HandyDan

Gee, CircleD, you continue to amaze me with things that I had never even considered, but prove to be substantial work savers.  I would think it would be well worth the effort to take that panel off to service that damn master cylinder.  Sticking your hand through that narrow rectangle just doesn't do the trick. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

:)ThmbUp. I try to make things easy for now and in the future.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Glad to hear you unbolted rather than cut the air flow heat shield.  Please read the Exhaust Manifold and Plug Wire Failure information on pdf page 97 of the Chevy/GMC P-30 Motorhome Chassis Service and Maintenance manual (Members Free manual section).  Those shields perform an important cooling function.

Dave

[move][/move]

circleD

Yes sir, I believe I have read in some post about the importance of the shield. I was going to make panels and bolt back on but this wasn't to bad. I think its good practice to tinker with things like this in my driveway instead of somewhere I don't want to. I'm putting the drawings in my files. Thank you.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Download the whole book from the Members area if you have not already (free).   Lots of good information.
[move][/move]

Stripe

Yep, that made doing my plug work so much easier..  I "assumed" everyone knew about this.. guess not now I feel like an ..........
Good shots..

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

I'm sure some people knew about this but when I first saw it I figured that it would be easier to take my grinder to it and make patch plate until I really started to look at it and saw that it was simple to take out so I took pics of the plate and bolts hoping to make it easier to understand that there is a better way to access things and not to cut out important things. Since I read Dave's post I think I will build a PS plate to help with air flow. Because I need another project! $@!#@!

DonD

Scale this pattern up to fit. Then customize for your exact app.

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

HandyDan

Don beat me to it but I am going to try and go one better.  Here is a PDF from the kind folks at the Barth tribe.

http://truckroadservice.com/barth_attachments/P-Series%20Splash%20Shield%20RH%2015983041.pdf
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Fredric,

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

DaveVA78Chieftain

While I have not done it myself (yet), I suspect this concept and reasons behind it would apply to a Dodge based 440-3 chassis also.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

What material is used for that shield?  It looks like galvanized sheet metal.
Fredric,

circleD

Overachiever  ;) .

After I get the other projects done, I'll use my old engineering skills and come up with some fins or something to force more air with tubes or vents. But this is why I love this site. Learn something, teach something, and everyone upgrades something together  :)ThmbUp

Good job DonD

moonlitcoyote

I dont believe I have any kind of heat shield in that location. I am going to have to check it out, does that also help to cool the engine any?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Yes I read the whole thread and I am still confused.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

legomybago

I didnt know about the cooling aspect of that sheild...I figured it was just for road hazard situations because it protects the steering shaft assembly and the brake MC. I learnededed something today ???

I modified mine so you can remove the engine half really easy to access the sweet 454 and MC...I need to take a pic W%

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

legomybago

legomybago

I didn't think my picture was going to post W% cool...

I cut straight down the shield just in front of the steer tire, then used a piece of thin metal and riveted one side to the shield, then drilled 3 holes and bolted the other side. Now you can remove just the engine/power steering/MC side of the shield in a few minutes..I didn't even want to attempt to try and remove the whole shield due to mine looking like a total pain in the a*s to do!!

circleD

I LIKE THAT!! I know what I'll be doing very soon. Just making an easier area to unfasten it instead of fishing up from the bottom  :)ThmbUp