coach battery compartment upgrade on Imperial 33

Started by circleD, December 28, 2013, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I couldn't reach or check my fusible breakers or solenoid because the battery took up the entire compartment plus there was a lot of corrosion and surface rust in there. So I decided to put all of the electronics at the access door for easy checking and while everthing was going to be torn out why not sand it down add some metal and paint the whole thing. I took off the wires one at a time and put a wire tie through the connector and made durable labels for each for referance and A LOT of pics. I sprayed the connections first with Liquid Wrench rust removed  :)ThmbUp and that took off 75% off the crud and then started the disassembly of all the components and the beast of the battery was already out. Well during this phase I found a white wire with a ring connector pushed up behind the battery, a connector with no wire but found the wire in the ball of wires, and when trying to take out the breaker bar a positive wire came right out of its connector. Then I hand cleaned each terminal and recrimped some of the wires and extended a few to make the distance. I have a list of the color of wires and what they go to. I haven't narrowed them all down yet but here is a few.
White wire goes to the panel over the walk in door.
Small gauge red and a black wire crimped together is FM radio and back up camera.
14 gauge black wire powers the lights in front and rear that swival and the dual flat lights in bedroom plus hall lights.
I'll try to get pics posted of all of this. It was a hassle but now everything is right were I can test it.
I will try to resize some pics of the mess during tear down and get them on here. The one thing I wish I had done now is run the wires through brackets along the top because the battery tried to eat them again. When I was messing with the wires I straightened them out first and wiped them clean then wire tied them into groups so they wouldn't bundle up again. I thought about putting all of the hook ups on the interior but didn't need anymore hazards.  The one thing that made it easier to do this was taking some flexible LEDs and glueing magnets to the back and they lit up everything so I'm going to permanently mount some in there with clips as work lights.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

I saw that you were working on your seats and the circuit breaker link was in the compartment. Is it the fuse holder that is by itself and not hooked to the longer buss bar? I have a regular fuse in that one. That's the one wire I didn't test.

Stripe

Yes, the lonely one.  Plus it's the only one with black wires on both sides.  did you see the pic I posted?  I think I circled it..

I think.. ???

BTW Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to check that white wire and see if that powers the light over the door.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28