- The Gear Box

* CWVRV News

NEW!  1978 Apollo 2600, 3000, 3300 Owner's Manual.  Check it out!

Author Topic: Feedback on Dodge Fargo Commander 1979  (Read 322 times)

Offline LilNomad

• I own: I don't own one but I'm a vintage RV enthusiast!
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Commander
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: unsure
Feedback on Dodge Fargo Commander 1979
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Hi LilNomad here..my friend is interested in purchasing a 1979 Dodge Commander 22ft. This will be her first moho and she wants to fulltime in it in the So Cal Area.  Can anyone give us any feedback on this moho? I own a travel trailer so im no help.  Please reply in simple girls terms hehe. Any engine info good, bad, ugly etc.  Price approx 3k.  I have no idea what its really worth and havent found much info in the internet on this model.
Thanks
LilNomad ???

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
  • I own: a Motor Home
Re: Feedback on Dodge Fargo Commander 1979
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:10 PM »
That price could be a good price... or it could be totally too high... depending on condition.  Without knowing what condition it's in, giving any kind of value estimate just can't be done fairly.

If she's considering buying a vintage RV, she MUST know or be willing to learn a lot about them as well as the mechanical terms used or it will eat her alive in terms of money and frustration if it isn't in nearly 100% solid shape in terms of mechanical things, body, and appliances.  Vintage RVers are, for the most part, do-it-yourselfers because of the expense involved if you have to pay mechanics to do the work.  Like a marriage, it's not something to enter lightly and unprepared.  It's the difference between being able to take on the challenges that go along with the benefits of owning a vintage RV and possibly having the worst experience ever.

To the right, the lower side-block - RV buying checklist.  Download it and take a good look at it.  This is how a good evaluation is done.  If she can't do it herself, then she absolutely needs someone who does to help.

If you think of it in familiar terms:
Check the chassis as though you were buying a car.
Check the Coach as if you were buying a house.

Maybe a travel trailer would be a better choice as a starter RV and a good way to learn the ropes.

Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Proud to be a:

Visit and take the Virtual Tour!

RVMH Hall of Fame
Lifetime Member

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

* Member Articles

RV Buying Checklist

Looking to buy a used RV?
Don't go unprepared!

Print this checklist so you
know the real condition of that "dream" RV:

RV Buyer's Checklist