Smog Test Fuel Additives

Started by thane, May 16, 2013, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thane

I recently was given a 1977 Class C motorhome with a Dodge 440 that last past California smog in 2008.  At the time the mechanic stated he didn’t think it would pass smog in the future as it was very close and the carburetor had to be tweaked (and left tweaked) to pass.
In 2010 it failed smog and was left parked until last month.  I was given the motorhome and drove it home on a one-day operating permit.  It ran fine but the exhaust pipe was very sooty.  I burned out the old gas and refilled with premium gas and some fuel additives.   
I put in two bottles of Guaranteed to Pass, one bottle of Seafoam and a cup or two of Lucas fuel treatment then took it for 7 hour ride and burned up a full tank.  I also burned some Mystery Oil in it when I got home.The exhaust pipe is now soot free and with only gasoline in the tank, it easily passed the smog test with ample margin to spare.  I expect it to pass in two years when it comes due again.I wasn’t sure if the additives would work, but apparently they do.

cosmic

Thankfully in Ontario Canada we only need the Etest (smog test) on vehicles manufactured after 1988. I would not think too many model T's would pass smog.  :laugh:

Stripe

Also, with the seafoam, did you pour some down the carburetor while she was running?  Look it up, you just might like the results.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DonD

Good for you Thane. I know the PHX guys are fond of alcohol in the gas.

No smog test here in the mountains :)
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.