Tire changing on split rims

Started by weretrees, October 04, 2012, 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weretrees

Good day to you all. I am on the road and living in my 73 Indian. Thanks to your help and info and a lot of work. I had to fix a flat on the front wheel, and I was looking to see how you guys do the split ring rims. I cant really find info on the rings and how to tell if they are worn or whatever. So I had a friend show me and then I did it myself out in the national forest. Easy task.  I would also like more info on the whole process and care of the rims .
Thanks so much, you have all been such a help.
Wannabango

Oz

Here's a couple of youtube videos.

One on removing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfW2KvMjfo

One on installing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjoyCLPk7I

Here's a period .pdf on the process which is by OSHA:  http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/osha_Demount-Mount.pdf

There are also a number of topics here regarding split rims.  Message search:  split rim
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

LOL. did ya see the safety shoes in the first video. I have to wonder if they do any welding at that shop? HAAA. Ha. Safety first i aways say.
good find Mark. but shoot I had a good laugh :laugh:

weretrees

Well I have officially changed all the tires on my Winny. All split rings. No safety cage, no chains, just a little common sense and tap tap with a hammer. I see how issues can happen with these rims, but its pretty straight forward for someone qualified to work on simple projects. lol.. You should have an eye for what is correct too. Common sense. No offense meant just an observation. if u have the money to pay someone, why not.. Sweet saved myself a lot of money and time. Thanks for the input. I drove my winny for 400 miles and it worked great. Kingpins next and a new Radiator. We ran warm in the desert. Tanks again.
Wannabango

Oz

OEM can be just as good, with the right know how and resources!   :) :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Regardless of how lucky you were this time, don't ever ever change a split ring flat again without at least a safety cable wrapped around the tires through all the rim brake cooling holes and around the ring, with the ring facing downward and yourself standing on the tire while inflating.  You got lucky...its not uncommon for the rings to go flying off at decapitating velocity when being inflated!  Safety first!  Its not a lot of extra work either...just use a bicycle cable lock or other thick aircraft type cable (bike ones are cheapest), and wrap it around everything and lock it with something like a padlock or even a carabiner.  Then flip the tire over so the ring is on the ground, stand on the tire rim, and inflate the tire...even if the ring blows, even if the ring rips through your safety cable, its going to go sideways, and you are safe out of harms way on the top of the rim.

Don't take the chance again my friend of doing it without a safety chain or cable.  Those rings have killed a lot of people. Without the cable you are still pretty safe on top of the tire, but if the ring shoots out sideways others aren't, nor is your property near the inflation process.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

weretrees

Thanks, Kev.. I am going to get some cable for the job. I have one ring that concerns me, but all in all I trust the system. Im also a avid Rock Climber, and trusting the system is very important to getting to the top. You guys are great. I ve learned a lot from this web page. keep it up.

Wannabango

ibdilbert01

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

We have the .pdf on this process for changing tires on split rims, solid rims, and also if the rim is cracked in the Member Area.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/page,page558.html