Best RV TV antenna or Satellite Dish.

Started by LJ-TJ, July 20, 2012, 08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well getting ready to invest in a new TV Antenna and looking for help in choosing the best one. Thanks

ClydesdaleKevin

We like our Winegard Sensar III with the built in booster that I installed a couple of years ago, already set up for digital, and added the Batwing to it, and the reception is pretty darn good.  If I were to do it again though, I'd spend the extra cash and get the motorized version, so I could turn the antenna from the bedroom while watching the telly, instead of having to shout back and forth to the wifey to dial in the picture...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

RV Mech Tech

T-J - there is a new antenna that we are starting to see on the Forest River Sunseekers at work -the company is  Jack TV and the website is www.jacktv4free.com - these delta-wing shapped antennas will retrofit to your Wineguard mast or they have a shorter pedastal mount available that is about a foot in height that will fit to your existing roof mount - the reception with these antennas is incredible .

JDxeper

On the Heartland forum, they are converting some of their antennas to jacks also.  sounds like a good setup.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Both of the current versions of those antennas are based on the original UHF/VHF Log-Periodic design of days gone by (like the original Braund Skyliner one on my Winne).  Those of us who remember the days before dish satelite TV, are all to familure with those TV Antennas.  They were primarly tuned for VHF channels (2-13)  Originally Winegard went with a Di-Pole design like the one on the left below.  When digital TV became the standard they added the Wing Man option which makes the Di-Pole version a Log-Periodic version (righthand picture).  The Winegard Sensor 5 just incorporates the Wingman in as part of the design.   The Sensor 5 and the wingman are tuned to be more responsive in the UHF channel spectrum used by HD TV.   

As you can see the Jack 4 TV is also based on a simular design.  They designed their antenna from scratch rather than take an existing design and modify it like Winegard did.

Oh, my original Skyliner works great!   Y!

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

The newer ones look really nice.  I still have the original on the "Titanic" and after I found a DAC for what I thought was already a digital TV, I hooked it up to the thing used an android phone app (TV antenna free) to vector in on the local tele towers and Bingo! I had digital  AND High Def stations coming in.  I really got a kick out of the fact that I had to rotate the antenna to pick up other towers, it was great!

P.S.  I actually found the DAC at the local Goodwill after waking up and saying out loud to my GF, "We need to go to Goodwill, I have this feeling they have something we need.."  And sure enough, ten minutes later her Plum tree collapses in our neighbors yard barely hitting his minivan. So we went to GW, found a chainsaw and a DAC!  Never underestimate the power of the Force! (goodwill in this case)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28