No Brake lights-Frustrated!

Started by Rinkydink, November 05, 2011, 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinkydink

I'm drinking a beer in frustration... after spending what I thought would be 5 min's fixing brake lights has turned into 2 1/2 hours and they still don't work!

1979 Dodge M 300/ 1980 D23 Brave W/ Cruise Control. (Just read another posting, think the cruise maybe my issue)

I came back to the computer to the fail safe site, "Classicwinnebagos"... probably should have started here. So heres the deal.

Have Tail lights and blinkers. I took the connections off the brake light switch expecting one of the two wires to be hot  that the switch was bad. I've got nothing there, so I followed the wires to... wha-la... the cruise control box, so now what???

I read in another post that somebody disconnected they're cruise control and then the brake lights were fine. I have zero problem doing the same as I've used it maybe once and who knows if it's even working now.. but it is just a matter of disconecting the harness from the box?

Also open for any other suggestions.

Thanks guys, looking forward to some suggestions!

DaveVA78Chieftain

When you say checked the power at the brake light switch you do mean the one under the floor by the master cylinder correct?
The cruise control does "tap" into the brake wiring but is not the source of power.
At the brake light switch, the 18 gauge pink wire is the hot lead from the fuse panel (under dash mounted to steering column support).  Middle fuse (of 5) on hazard warning flasher side.  The 18 gauge white wire goes to the turn signal switch.  Because the brake light switch is exposed to the elements, both wires go into a water tight connector that attaches to the switch.    They are then routed through a connector located in the floorboard area inside at your feet (possibly behind false foot board).

Dave
[move][/move]

Rinkydink

I will have to look again in regards to the wiring I have. But to your question, yes, I'm checking at the switch by the master cylinder. There is a water tight connection, two prongs, a red wire and a green wire that I followed back to the cruise control. There are other wires tapped in on the connection, and this is where I'll have to go back and look, but I thought they went back to the lamps. (Will bring camera with me) Maybe one of them is the "hot" pink wire? I'll check and let you know. If that's the case, then it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.... I hope.

Go Chargers!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do yourself a favor and purchase the 78-82 Service manual from the store.  It includes chassis wiring diagrams also.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;cat=42

Dave
[move][/move]

Rinkydink

"It's always the last place you look"

I'm embarassed to report the problem is solved. Turned out to be nothing other then a bad connection. There was what I call a "tap-n-go" wire connection an inch behind the switch on the pink wire that attached the red wire heading to the cruise control box. After a closer look, the pink was indeed "hot" on the back side of the connector.

The embarassing part-Followed that damn wire from the back of the fuse box, not easy! Should have went the other way. Another lesson learned.

Thanks again Dave,

Happy RV-ing once again.

Froggy1936

As an afterthought and not unheard of is both bulbs burned out Can be very difficult to find.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

No reason to be embarassed.  When rigs get older corrosion sets into the connectors.  Happens to all of us.  Having the documentation makes it much easier to track it down though.

Happy camping,
Dave
[move][/move]