odometer, speedometer and fuel gauge not working

Started by outdoorsguy36, May 24, 2011, 08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsguy36

I have a 72' D24C winne and the speedometer odometer and gas gauge does not work. I know the floater may be broken in the tank, but if not and they all have an electrical issue or I cant get them to work, does someone make replacements or do I have to scrounge junk yards? The oil preasure, voltmeter, and tempeture gauges work though and they are in the same dash area, and so do all the switches.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Fuel Gauge:
The voltage limiter drives both the Fuel and temerature gauge.  If the temperature gauge works correctly, the voltage limiter is working correctly.
Either:
1) Sending unit is bad
2) Wiring problem
3) Fuel gauge is bad.  You can test the fuel gauge by grounding the post the light blue wire is connected to.

Speedometer/odometer
They used mecanical units in 72.  Either:
1. Speedometer cable is bad - (most likely problem)
2. Speedometer drive gear in transmission is defective
3. Speedometer drive head in instrument cluster is bad.

If you have cruise control, there are 2 speedometer cables.  1 (original pre-cruise cable) from transmission to cruise control box (left side frame rail).  1 from cruse control box to speedometer head.  Any of the 3 items could be bad.

Good luck
Dave

P.S.  Get a copy of the Dodge Chassis manual from the CWVRV site store (link at top of page).  Most of this information is in there.
[move][/move]

mhd_graphics

check to backside of the instrument cluster - on my 74 Titan, the plastic keeper from the cable to the speedo is cracked and wont hold the spindle in.