Chassis Battery Recommendations?

Started by chicknnhead, April 25, 2011, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

Just curious what chassis battery everyone is using. I have a dodge class C, v8 360 and need new battery...was wondering what everyone was using for their rig

DaveVA78Chieftain

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll120/BaileyDave/Winnebago/StartingCircuit.gif

I am using a group 29 for engine start (440-3) that came from Walmart.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClassCKing

i have a dodge class c 360..battery is a regular size truck battery..has to run all my toys ..hooked up to a solar charger with a regulater...does all that i need it to.
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

Stewartfan

Would the same battery work on a '69 F-17? The rig only had one battery in it when we bought it.The only one in there is a deep cycle and I know you do not use that for the start battery, so I need a new one for the chassis and not sure which one to get. The deep cycle is now bad.

ClassCKing

it  should the size of battery i have in my suv is the same that i have in my rv and with regular cleaning and making sure all wire are tight i have had no problems and can keep a full charge

ClassCKing

deep  cycle is bad for starter very bad

DaveVA78Chieftain

Chassis battery size is mainly a function of engine size.  What is needed to start a 6 cylinder (F-17) is not the same as a 440-3.  A group 27 is typically good for 6 cylinder and small/medium V8.  Big V8 (440-3 / 454/ 427) typically needs a group 29.  Though there is nothing preventing you using a group 29 on a 6/small V8.  Just don't go smaller (group 27) on a big V8 (lower amperage capability).  Chassis batteries are rated in Cranking Amps which is driven by how much short term amperage is needed for starting.  House batteries are typically rated in Amp hours which is related to long time low amperage drain.  A 440-3 at normal operating temp typically places a huge strain on the starter and battery (bigger the battery the better).

The plates in a starting battery are designed for short term high amperage (250 to 500 amps) used for engine start.  The plates in a house battery are designed for long term low amperage drain (10  - 40 amps).

Marine starting/deep cycle batteries are in between and designed for short high amps to start an outboard motor (lower amperage than a car engine) with long term low amp drain.

Cable size from chassis battery to starter must be big enough to handle both the distance and expected maximum amperage need during starting.

Dave
[move][/move]

chicknnhead

classCKing, what make model battery do you have?

DaveVA78chieftain, I read what you're saying but when I look at aAZ.com and look up (1ton or cb300) 76 dodge truck it list a 25-dlg I'm assuming the 25 is the group #. I have a 360 v8 2b carb.  they don't seem to list just motor home. would I just ask for a group 27 battery?

JDxeper

I use a wal mart Maxx for the chassis and a Wal mart marine deep cycle for the house in the 78 Brave and also in the 68 F17,  The 68 had one up front and place for the coach battery but moved the coach to the back close to the converter/charger.  In this case they are not connected as in the 78.  I tend to use the largest battery that will fit in the space allowed.  they usually cost the same.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ibdilbert01

I've got an interstate rebuilt on my chassis, and 4 interstate workaholic 225Ah batteries for the house batteries.   

And I'd like to make mention a very good point Dave made earlier, the RV/Marine Deep Cycle batteries that you find in Walmart are more a hybrid, they work "fair" for a starting battery, and work "fair" for a deep cycle battery, though I would not try to cycle them below 50% if possible.   

Some really good information can be found here.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

The "Group" number represents physical dimensions of the battery:
http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/battery-bci/battery-bci-size.htm
Physically larger cases usually mean a higher CCA.

Each manufacturer typically has good, better and best selections where each level has a higher CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) and longer warrenty period.

You should be able to use a Group 24, 25, or 27 with no plroblem.  Just select the physically largest one that will fit in your space and has the battery posts in the correct position for your cables.

Dave
[move][/move]