Are Split Rims Dangerous?

Started by kilroy75633, November 15, 2008, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilroy75633

Sent: 3/25/2008 6:33 PM

The 73 Indian M400 I have has split rims on it.  I've had people tell me these are dangerous.  Only thing I've ever done is put some air in them every couple of months when they get low on front. I can't get a tire shop in town to touch them, they keep saying they don't have a cage? It is 5 lug rims.  Does anyone know if these are replaceable with standard rims and what would a person look for?  17 inch Dodge rims?  Tires are 17-17.5. I've noticed the ring on the front tires but on the back duals the ring must be on the inside,Any help would be appreciated I've never messed with split rims.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 3/25/2008 7:13 PM

I'm gonna get hollered at again...lol...but there is nothing wrong with 2 piece rims (they aren't technically split rims...split rims are very dangerous...they are 2 piece rims, a whole rim, and a lock ring).

Now, for the cautionary disclaimer part of this post:  2 piece rims are as safe as a loaded handgun.  If you can pay attention to detail, follow all safety precautions, and NEVER skip a single step in maintenance, then these rims are perfectly safe.  If you are not mechanically inclined, or get distracted when working on dangerous things, then do not keep 2 piece rims, but replace them as soon as you can!

Okay...now for the rest of the post...lol

You can keep the rims you have (they still make tires for them, they still make inner tubes for them, and they still make boots/flaps for them) if you can find a tire shop to change them for you...you may have to go out of town to find one, since a tire shop can only safely change them with a safety cage...the whole rim with tire is put in a cage before they inflate it and if the ring pops off at rocket speed, the cage contains it.  OR, if you can be safe with a loaded handgun, you can change them yourself.  Proceedures for doing so SAFELY are posted here in other threads in detail, and you can ask Dave Denison to email you a copy of his proceedure, which is very safe indeed.

Any local shop can balance them for you once the tires are on.

If you don't feel comfortable with loaded handguns, then you can replace the rims...again, there are many folks here who have done so, and many threads and discussions about it. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

AlbuqHenry

Sent: 3/25/2008 7:19 PM

i used to work with split rims when I was in the army.... The cage is used to air them up for the first time when seating the bead... It is a safety device.... not sure if you can see how the rims come apart but there is a ring that makes up one side of the rim, the tire touches the ring..... the bead of the tire keeps the ring locked to the rim.... In the past when seating the bead the tire would snap out and the ring would come out of its groove and go flying.... sometimes the tire might take up to 50psi to seat the bead so this is why they use cages now a days... When we were changing tires with no cage available we would use a long bar through the large holes in the rim to hold the ring in place.... then you use a clip on air chuck and stand back when seating the bead... For me I would feel comfortable doing these rims myself but I know what to look for.... No Idea .  Hope this helps with why they wont work on em for you....-Henry

denisondc

Sent: 3/25/2008 9:19 PM

While they are entirely safe when mounted and have been on the motor home, those wheels can be dangerous: But so can any 4 lane highway during rush hour, and every handgun. Yes, they should be treated with deep respect when you are remounting and reinflating those tires. Thats what the 'cage' is for. I dont have a cage, but use one of 3 other methods to constrain the detachable rim from being lethal.

There is nothing wrong with the original wheels. I would keep my split rims even if someone gave me a set of the one-piece 19.5 5 bolt wheel. I think those 7.50-17 tires are nice and beefy, with plenty of load capacity. Mine are all bias play, load range D or E. Radials are also available, and I would buy them if they cost less than the bias ply. I have only had to change one tire while traveling, and that one wasn't flat, just losing air due to an old tube. Thats in 55,000 miles of driving.

I don't know where you live, but I think there would be truck places in most populated areas that will do the split rims.
The problem is if they only get one customer a year with split rims, they wont have anyone who has 'experience' doing it, and their insurance may specifically Not cover that type of wheel.

I do all of my own tire mounting/demounting myself. I can change a tire in my yard, or at the shoulder of the road, using hand tools. (We carry a walmart compressor in case i need to inflate one on the roadside.) We have a 1/3rd acre lot, and its more work to cut the grass than to change a tire/tube once I have the wheel off the Winnie.

The only time it is hard to work on those wheels is when they have been rusting for a couple of decades and have not been brushed clean and given a coat of paint.

On the rear axle, the two split rim pieces are facing each other - that why you dont see the detachable piece.

Henry

Sent: 3/25/2008 10:08 PM

I am the Mr. Super Negative on split ring wheels.  I do feel that these three members have given the proper warnings on changing them.  Your biggest danger is probably lies in the condition of the rings and the rims.  If they are not rusty or rusted only a small amount.  You can wire brush all of the minor rust off so that the integrity of the fit of the ring is assured.  You can probably change them if you follow the instructions implicitly.  Even though you can use radial tires on them, they are not rated, by Budd, the manufacturer, for radial tires.  If you stick with them, I suggest using the bias-ply tires for which the rims were designed. 

I have converted the two motor homes that I have had with split rings to 19.5 rims and 8 - 19.5 tires. 

In the late 50's, I worked in a truck tire shop and changed many a split ring/rim tire.  Every time it was with a cage.  Finding someone in a tire store now who can do it, even with a cage, is a rarity, as you have seen.

Henry

Slantsixness

Sent: 3/26/2008 8:13 AM

I hate split rims. (true split or Split ring rims.)

If you do it wrong, and by yourself.... You can DIE.

Get it?

Ok.. with that said... there are people out there who will still work on them, and yes... you can change your own tire on the side of the road, and take every necessary and unneccessary precaution.

But:

Do just one thing wrong.... It can kill you faster than you can say "what the F%^&**?"
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

bluebird

Sent: 3/26/2008 11:58 PM

And I'm another that would trade coaches before I'd have split rim or what ever you call them. Some newer gm coaches have 10 on the back and 5 on the front, same wheel. Check to see if maybe they would fit. They are for 19.5 tires, though like mentioned before.

Chuck

JDxeper

The following link shows why split rims should be respected.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110516/NEWS01/110516038/Man-dies-after-being-hit-head-split-rim-wheel?odyssey=obinsite.

Need to follow safety procedures even when just topping off the air pressure.
BE SAFE OUT THERE!!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

There's not a lot of things that I feel passionate about and at 63 I surly don't like telling people what to do as we have way to many experts telling us what to do now, but in answer to your question. DON'T F#*K WITH THEM. DEAD IS FOR EVER.

There's not a lot of folks out there today that are willing to or know how to change split rims properly and safely. They're Dangerous. If your one of the fortunate few that can find regular rims step up pay for them. You'll sleep better at night. That's my onion anyway.

ibdilbert01

I'm with TJ on this one, Dead is Dead, if your questioning how dangerous they can be, you probably shouldn't be working with split rims. 
I've got to replace a tube on my spare before we hit the Jam, if I survive, I'll be there.      :laugh:
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

MotorPro

Changing tires on split rims without a cage is no more dangerous then cleaning a loaded gun. As it has been said dead is dead!

maxximuss

Here is a link to those who don't  know why you should never service a split rim on a vehicle unless you are qualified to do so. Dead is Dead. Though this video is not graphic it still shows what can happen messing with them. Do not watch if you have a weak stomach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVXFTskT5Z4