Generator runs LOUD! Can I make it quieter?

Started by MSN Member, November 21, 2009, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weirdabago

Sent: 6/10/2004

Good Morning!  Finally got the generator (kohler 2.5) fired up  in the weirdabago.  Had to put in an in-line electric fuel pump as the stocker was toast and i figured  we'd never find a replacement anyway.  Only have one comment...HOLY CATS!   this thing is loud/obnoxious and shakes the whole rig. she's crankin out power tho.  I'am beginning to see why so many folks are going to inverters.  You couldn't watch tv if you wanted to, and if you wanted to use microwave or some other appliance it would certainly be in short  duration due to the noise, etc.   thinking about running the exhaust up the side of the rig and vent above the roof but still worried about being shot at now!!  You could never get lost  around the campsite as long as that thing is runnin!!!        Kerry

70winnie

Sent: 6/10/2004

Kerry, if space permits, you  might want to look at lining the inside of the generator compartment with foamboard insulation.  Prolly want to first remove the existing quilted padding, if any.  I saw a kind of foamboard at both Lowes and Home Depot, I can't remember the name, but it has foil backing on both sides which should provide a decent heat shield, too.  I'm planning to buy some when I rebuild my genbox (toward the end of my remodel project).

Sea Hag

Sent: 6/12/2004

If the genny was designed for RV use ( most seam to have Onan )  it should be fairly quiet and exaust piped out past the rig . I would check into the exaust system as it's impotant that it doesn't leak fumes into the rig . And a major tune up should stop most of the vibration If it's properly mounted . Sea Hag 

restoholic

Sent: 12/11/2004

The generator runs awfull lowd, has new muffler... is there a way to quite them?

Bill

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 12/12/2004

The PO of my Winnie put a small automobile muffler on the generator, and it did the trick -- at least it made the Kohler quiet enough so that I won't get kicked out of a campsite.

I have been looking at the new diesel pushers (getting ideas, mainly) that have the genset mounted on a hydraulic slide-out in the front.  They use a very small muffler -- and at least twelve feet of exhause pipe!  The pipe has several "hairpin" bends, which has the effect of trapping even more engine noise -- that is one of the big reasons why the new gensets "gurgle" like they do.

John

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/12/2004

I installed a Muffler for a small car on genny also . The PO had a tractor muffler on it and it was loud .  The car muffler works out well and there is plenty of room to mount it under the tray and pipe it out the rear past the bumper . The Oem Genny mufflers sshould be quite too , but their pricy . The muffler I used only cost 20 bucks or so .  You just have to look for one with the right size inlet . I think mine was for a toyota .
   You might want to check to see if your exhust manifold isn't leaking . They also haave some Extentions for genny mufflerrs that go up the side of your rig and direct the noise above the top of your rig at RV dealers . SEa Hag 

LJ-TJ

Check out TSC in the tractor section. They have a nice selection of Muffers and tail pipes that you can dry fit to see it they'll do the job for ya.  Hm?