Are all dump/drain hose connectors the same size?

Started by MSN Member, July 27, 2009, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatkin

Sent: 4/8/2006

If that's the correct term. Do all of these have the same connector ? To attach to the RV ? I believe I will need one, for a 73 brave ... Thanks ...

denisondc

Sent: 4/8/2006

There are at least two different standard sized connectors. I think the ones on our old Winnies are the 4 inch. A newer size is 3 inch. The old connectors are still sold, but may not be on the shelf in every RV/camper supply store.
Some people call it the black-water dump hose.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/9/2006

actually they are both 4 inch....one is white plastic...the old kind....and the new black....the difference is in the thickness of the PVC.....White was  used up till 1976 or so and then a company came up with a cheaper to way to manufacture fittings, and makers of the rigs changed over to the black piping as a cost savings....you can get the adapters at Camping world or almost any RV supply place....just say you want to go from the old White fitting to Black fitting. I had to cut my pipe about an inch or so to glue the new fitting on.......There is a name for the older style, but it eludes me at this time....

Timmy

firebug911

Sent: 4/9/2006

I think they are called "thedford valves"

Afubar69

Sent: 4/10/2006

Actually, the word is Thetford.  As in the makers of RV toilets and portables.   

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/12/2006

The old valves were usually "Valterra" but Valterra is still around, and still makes dump valves, just like the Thetford Valves, along with other RV/Marine plumbing products.

The standard Thetford replacement valve fits on most Winnies, but you'll need 4 longer bolts to accommodate the Fiberglass tank fitting.

I still want to know what's so "Magic" about my AquaMagic VI toilet... I go, I flush... what's so "Magic"? 
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/25/2006

When doing ANYthing on an old RV, Winnie, Futura, or otherwise, remember that VERY few things ARE standard...

Be creative!!!  Look at what you WANT to accomplish, and then decide what parts you need to MAKE your scheme work...and then find the parts.

Use the force, Luke!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

camperguynj

Sent: 6/26/2006

The actual "connection" has changed to a more popular "bayonet" style. If the connection point is intact on the MH - you can purchase an adapter. It installs easily and will accept the bayonet type sewer hose.

If it is the Dump Valve that needs to be changed out - it involves a little grunt and sweat but easy to do.  If it needs to be replaced, as mine did, take into consideration whether you have a gray water tank or not. My '68 does not so my valve gizmo has an offset 2'' socket which by-passes the valve allowing the gray water to drain directly out as originally designed.  I use a 5 gallon bucket to catch this and had taught my dog, Broozer how to properly empty it. Unfortunately, he passed on this winter and I am looking for a new "water" dog.  -- Dang dog

Also, as Denisondc and Kevin stated - the fitting was 4" and I got creative and used a 4/3 reducer fitting to accept the new 3" valve. (They are cheap at the big box stores)

tatkin

Can you direct me to a reducer like this ?   A site and part number would be handy, or the correct search words.   I have been looking but am not sure what to buy.  I would like to EASILY get that white ? 4 inch drain hose down to the newer size ? 3 inch.   I have one of those portable waste water things and I would like to be able to hook a hose to it.   Right now I have a funnel under the drain and into the portable unit to catch the gray water ...

DanD2Soon

Hey Tatkin,

I think you're talking about being able to hook-up to a Tote-Along tank or a sewer drop and hopefully the links below will help... NOTE: Your local RV place probably has the same stuff at about the same prices without paying extra for shipping - I'm just trying to get you to pictures & descriptions that will help you decide what you want/need.

Low Priced Tote Tanks   This link shows various totes.

GO-RV.com - Thetford Hose adapters  This link shows pretty good pictures of Thetford adapters (Center of the Page) that will get you to 3", or garden hose, or just cap you off so you don't go "drippin" down the road/driveway/etc. 

Thetford Replacement Sewer Fittings - Camping World  This link has better prices on the same stuff as the second.

We have a 22 gal. Tote-along and use it with the Garden Hose Adapter connected for Gray Water Only when boon-docking or in a campground without sewer hook-ups.  Our Black Water tank is bigger than the Tote & I like to keep the Tote "fresh" so I've only ever used it for Black Water in emergencies. We need the Angled Adapter to clear the bodywork and have it connected to a regular sewer drop hose with a 90 degree bayonet fitting for dumping at a dump station or connecting to a full hook-up sewer drop.  And, of course, we use a Cap when traveling or parked.  We also carry a pail to use instead of the Tote for quick stops - it's just tall enough to jamb under the dump fitting so  Hot Rod  can't get into it or tip it over.

Good luck - Later,
DanD

tatkin

Sent: 6/28/2006

Thanks , I just ordered part 27465 from the second listing you showed.  Diamond Trailer Sales.   $21 with the shipping.

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 4/24/2008

Two tanks, grey and black (both physically white, of course). Grey's valve is missing, leaving the 3.25" threaded opening wide open to the elements (surprised I don't have little critters living in my plumbing). Black's valve leaks (oh, yum), with a constant drool from not the tank body (thankfully), but the gate area. I am figuring this is stuff I don't want to play with at ALL, I'm going to fix it right and just buy and install two new valves while the system is still pretty much clean (albeit a bit...aromatic). 

I haven't started disassembly yet and am wondering (especially with the threaded appearance of grey), will they just unscrew or do I have to disassemble the black valve or what? Any pointers on how to do this distasteful, yet immediately necessary job? Thanks as always for feedback guys. Because of the support and camaraderie I've found here, one of the first things that went on Sunny was her new sticker proclaiming her as a "Proud Member of Classic Winnebagos".

MN Tom

bill_never_paid

Sent: 4/24/2008

Hey Tom of MN---not sure if this will help but I was having a leaking problem, Black Tank-nasty- and it was with my connection off the drain hose as was really worn. Talked to service guy at dlr-RV-and he suggested I convert to a 3" coupler so,also have 2 sep. drains on my 75', I attached 2 attachments to where I would normally connect my sewer hose+coupler and then I bought a new sewer hose + coupler to attach---I also had to buy 2 new caps for the tanks but I went down and tried the system---full of water or a little water anyway--at a dump station and no leaks---happy to get pics' if this would help but not sure if you are talking about it leaking at the release valve or drain valve set up---didn't change my release valves as seem ok but sure happy with no leaks---especially black tank-good luck
Sir William of Kennewick-or Bill

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 4/25/2008

Thanks, Bill

The problem is the drain valve. The black valve is seeping and appears to be cracked in at least one spot, making me suspect a replacement might be in order. The grey valve is missing entirely, with just the threaded 3" opening open to the world at large. 
I was wondering if these things just screw on and off, have to be disassembled first or at all, and what I might need to "git er done". Your post made me think, though. You went to the RV dealer.....Duh.... Of course. Sunny is completely mobile....she is a freaking motor home, Tom! My own supplier is only about 10 minutes from here. I think I'll just cruise down there and have the parts guy take a look. He can tell me exactly what I need.

Thanks guys.

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 5/7/2008

All fixed.

We didn't play around. Two new Valterra valves and assemblies, including caps, to go with the new hose and connectors I already had. The original valve on Black (as pictured in the earlier post) was a Thetford. That sucker was ON there, let me tell you. I knew it was a threaded connector as evidenced by the identical tank right next to it (Gray) so it should just unscrew, but... geez! My son (who has arms about the size of my legs) couldn't even get it to budge! Not only was the valve cracked, it appeared a PO had used some type of plumbing cement or glue to cheap out and "repair" and reinstall it at some point. Not only did I need to change it to make a like size dump system, it was broken and it had to go!  I finally went and rented a rather (ahem!) large pipe wrench to put around the collar where it screwed onto the tank. THAT did it. A little cleanup and pipe dope to fill those big, fat, hairy threads, and new part installation commenced.

All new valves now, nice and clean and smooth operating. Best of all; nice and dry.